Apple users are not big fans of the Vision Pro

trusted+reviews
trusted reviews

Apple’s latest headline-grabbing device, the Vision Pro, became an object of fascination since its release on Feb. 2. The Vision Pro’s reception hasn’t reflected that fascination as the device is reportedly being returned by many.

Apple its $3,499 Vison Pro as “a singular piece of three-dimensionally formed laminated glass that acts as an optical surface for the cameras and sensors that view the world.”

It boasts of being a form of  innovation “you can see, hear and feel,” with features like apps filling the space around you, spatial audio with a “sophisticated array of cameras and sensors” as well as its ability to “turn your room into a personal movie theater” while delivering “more pixels than a 4K TV for each eye.”

Despite such features, the drawbacks of the revolutionary product have been making their way to the news lately.

“When you get into the groove, using the Vision Pro can feel thrilling. But when things don’t work the way you expect — which in my case was pretty often — you may wonder why you didn’t just use the gadgets you already have,” Chris Velasco, the Washington Post’s personal technology reporter, admitted.

Velasco praised spatial computing, particularly with multitasking, with the help of floating apps such as a virtual timer, which the product delivers. He also mentioned the unique advantage of the device as it allows him to “shut out the world sometimes when [he] needs some alone time, and pop back in when [he’s] ready.”

During FaceTime, one’s appearance is slightly altered due to factors like one’s eyes being “powered by the Vision Pro’s still-in-beta ‘Personas,’” according to Velasco.

Moreover, issues with the comfortability of the 1.3-pound product have been raised.

The Verge that “comfort is among the most cited reasons for returns as people said the device gives them headaches and triggers motion sickness.”

Tech YouTuber Farzad Mesbahi alluded to this after trying out the Vision Pros. He said that “wearing a device on his head and face can be inconvenient even if he can get it to sit comfortably,”  adding that “He can’t see himself using the headset for long periods as people do with smartphones, tablets, and computers.”

Collin Michael, uploaded a video on why he’s returning his Vision Pro, saying that he used the headset “to do things he would normally do on an iPhone or Mac — like pulling up Safari or searching for used cars” which required “extra steps that just aren’t worth the effort.”

“Another common complaint is the Vision Pro doesn’t offer enough productivity relative to the price,” according to The Verge. Many users have resonated with Michael’s critique.

While this is Apple’s first try at a product of this sort, possible future releases might fix the issues with this first edition.

Because this device is the first edition and quite new, Velasco recommended scheduling a demo at an Apple Store to know more about the product as it’s “better to lose 25 minutes than thousands of dollars.”