Spring sports teams begin preparations for upcoming season 

Courtesy of Baruch Athletics
Courtesy of Baruch Athletics

As the spring semester goes into full swing, Baruch College’s spring athletics season has also commenced. Men’s volleyball has already begun its regular season games, while baseball, softball and tennis are still weeks away from their first matchups.

The men’s volleyball team is 10 games into its 2019 season and sits at a record of 3-7.

These games do not affect CUNY Athletic Conference standings, as there have yet to be matches between CUNYAC opponents.

The first conference match scheduled for the Baruch Bearcats was on Feb. 18 at Lehman College, in the CUNYAC Tri-Match against Lehman and Brooklyn College.

The highlight of the Bearcats season thus far has been at the SUNY Purchase Tri-Match, where they faced SUNY Purchase and Wilkes University from Pennsylvania. The Bearcats’ pride heightened as they swept their two matches.

In their match against Wilkes, sophomore Meni Musheyev and senior Nicholas Godino led the team to its 3-1 victory.

Musheyev led the team with 12 blocks and Godino totaled 19 kills. The team added seven aces and five more blocks in the win.

In the win against SUNY Purchase, the Bearcats were smooth-sailing throughout. They totaled 31 kills, with eight of those coming from Godino. Freshman Stallone Shankar had 23 assists in the win.

After finishing second in the CUNYAC standings in 2018, and ultimately losing in the CUNYAC championship game to Hunter College, the men’s volleyball team is hoping that it could ride on its CUNYAC success from the previous year and come out on top in 2019.

After back-to-back CUNYAC championship wins and two straight appearances to the NCAA National Championship Tournament, Baruch’s men’s tennis team is hoping to repeat its luck for a third straight year.

After successful previous seasons, senior Leonard Margolis and junior Michael Dozortsev are looking to lead Baruch back to the top.

In the 2017-2018 season, Margolis went 9-3 and was a 2018 CUNYAC First Team All-Star. In the same season, Dozortsev, who transferred from Brooklyn College, also went 9-3 in his 2017-2018 season and was a 2018 CUNYAC Second Team All-Star.

Baruch’s baseball and softball seasons kick off the first week of March, with softball playing against Yeshiva University and baseball against SUNY Purchase.

Softball finished its 2018 season in fourth place in CUNYAC standings and is looking to finish higher in 2019. The team has the roster to do so, and, should it play to its full potential, should be able to finish toward the top of CUNYAC.

Baseball finished in sixth place in CUNYAC last season and was defeated by Finlandia College in the second round of the tournament.

The Bearcats believe that they have the team to bring a CUNYAC championship back to Baruch.

Finally, the men’s basketball team looks to go far in the CUNYAC tournament, as it clinched the No. 1 seed and the regular season championship.

The tournament begins Feb. 20.