Life science markets begin to open across NYC

CK-12 Foundation | Wikimedia Commons

A new biotech and medical company is coming to Industry City in Brooklyn, joining a list of new tenants in the complex.

Brooklyn is now desperately trying to catch up with other life science markets, such as those located in Boston, San Diego and San Francisco. There is a massive amount of support for these life science markets coming from the government.

These markets are currently working hard to carry out experiments that will soon put successful new drugs on the market, once shown to have positive effects. With the city now recovering slowly from recent lockdowns and work from home orders, funding from investors is being spent towards new projects that can help towards the experiment of drugs.

Biotechnology first arrived in NYC in 2010 when a California-based developer of bioscience constructions called “Alexandria” opened a tower known as the Alexandria Center for Life Science on the east side of Manhattan. In 2014, “Alexandria” had completed the second out of three planned towers.

With the coronavirus pandemic continuing to cause cases and deaths around the state of New York and the country, many developers are now building laboratories for biotechnology start-ups to conduct their research and contribute in the race to find a cure, according to The New York Times.

Life science is a field of study that focuses on all living organisms and how they live. Research could involve organisms of all sizes, ranging from bacteria to begonias to even beluga whales. The science that pertains to organisms are based on their methods of survival in the past, present and future.

Information obtained can range from topics that involve research with plants, animals, viruses, bacteria, organisms and cells. There are many researchers and developers that concentrate on one specific type of class when it comes to organisms; such as the study of zoology, which has even more subspecialties within it. There are more than thirty different branches that would fall under the category of life sciences.

New York City has been able to accommodate the growing life sciences community, allowing the new marketplaces to flourish quickly. There are leading universities and medical centers that will likely work closely with these developing life science markets in the near future to continue pushing the frontier of scientific innovation. It is where chemists, biomedical engineers and life science professionals will meet to help create experiments that can influence life on earth.