Baruch sweeps Hunter across sports

Baruch athletics continue a busy spring season, as teams such as baseball and softball, tennis, and volleyball travel around the tri-state area to play rivals in hopes of advancing in the CUNYAC.

Baruch College had an active week playing various rivals, most notably Hunter College. The Bearcats faced the Hawks in both men’s volleyball and tennis, taking home a victory in each respective match.

In a 25-21, 25-22, 25-15 sweep, Baruch beat Hunter 3-0 in men’s volleyball in the ARC Arena during Bearcat Appreciation Night on March 26.

Notably, Argjend Osmanaj contributed to the team’s victory with 10 kills, followed by Jack Centeno who notched eight. Ryan Oommen was seen dishing out 26 assists, reaching 588 total for the season, the highest for his time at Baruch. Naoki Tani also stood out with 11 digs.

The Bearcats have now reached a 13 game winning streak, setting them at 14-6 and 13-0 in the CUNYAC. The consistency of the team’s performance, partnered with their continuous winning streak, makes the championships seem within reach.

At the beginning of the night as part of Bearcat Appreciation Night, the team honored its players in their final year. Wen Cheung, Jack Centeno, Oommen, Juancarlos Henriquez, Tani and Aleskandr Howard were highlighted as they round out their last year on the team on a high note.

The men’s tennis team also succeeded in defeating their rivals in their first CUNYAC match of the season.

Baruch dominated Hunter in a 9-0 match on March 29. The Bearcats won all three doubles and all six singles.

Liam Cooper and George Arteaga played an impressive set of singles, winning both pairs of sets in a 6-0 sweep respectively.

Bearcat duo Reda Ljazouli and Jordan Hernandez surpassed Hunter in an 8-1 win in third doubles.

After their success against Hunter, the team continued on to play Brooklyn College at Columbia University’s Tennis Center, winning 7-2.  The Bearcats won two of the three doubles and five of the six singles. Reda Ljazouli has a suspenseful set of matches 6-4, 1-6, 10-4, a tie breaker that ultimately resulted in a win for Baruch. Duo Juan Paredes and Nicholas Santiago won the first set of doubles, 8-4. Matching their momentum, duo Tuna Nergizoglu and Liam Cooper won second doubles with the same four point lead, 8-4.

With this victory, the team now stands 4-2 and 1-0 in the CUNYAC. A victory in the first CUNYAC match of the season positions the team to build their momentum early to take them far, potentially to the CUNYAC championships at the end of the season.