Volleyball reaches midseason with 11th consecutive win

Baruch’s men’s volleyball team has built an impressive momentum this season, reaching their 11th consecutive win on March 19.

In the past few weeks, the Bearcats showed up to the court with a determined defense and strong offensive play, leading to consistent victories over their opponents. 

Baruch College faced Hunter College on March 12 in a close game, 3-2. Bearcat Ryan Oommen played a strong game with 41 assists, aided by Peter Gavroff and Hoaxin Hu, who each had nine kills. Oommen has reached midseason with 493 assists under his belt, already above the 491 he had overall during the 2023 season. 

Jack Centeno stood out in this game with 19 kills, helping the Bearcats secure a win. Centeno has now racked up 114 kills thus far this season, averaging 2.59 per set. 

In a 3-0 slam victory, the Bearcats defeated Brooklyn College on March 14. The Bulldogs put up a great fight, but the Bearcats overrode with a 28-26, 25-21, 25-25 sweep, leading to a 7-0 tally in the CUNYAC as they marked the middle of their conference schedule. 

In another 3-0 win, the Bearcats won their tenth straight match against York College on March 16 in a 25-11, 25-12, 25-11. With 35 kills within the game, the Bearcats overpowered the Cardinals, who had 10 kills.. 

Baruch’s Argjend Osmanaj accomplished a career-high with 10 kills, while his teammates Juancarlos Henriquez and Ari Osmanaj each contributed five kills to the team’s overall 35. 

Baruch’s Jackson Newcomb made a career highlight with his most assists ever, 30, in this game. 

The Bearcats reached an impressive high when they won their ninth consecutive CUNYAC match against City College on March 19. 

CCNY, with nine kills and nine assists, was swept by Baruch, whose entire roster contributed to the victory, with 35 kills and 31 assists in the game. 

Peter Gavroff and Ari Osmanaj contributed the most kills—six—to Baruch’s efforts to maintain a lead over the visiting Beavers. 

The Bearcats played steady, leading to the 25-17, 25-8, 25-14 scoreboard that granted them their eleventh consecutive win in the CUNYAC. 

Aside from one tie, the men’s volleyball team has stretched their reign in the CUNYAC to 14 in a row, dating back to the previous 2023 season. 

Baruch now stands first in the CUNYAC, 9-0, and 12-6 in their regular season. 

While the season has yet to conclude, the Bearcats have a hefty strew of victories under their belt and find themselves in an exceptional position that could potentially lead them to the CUNYAC championships.