Bearcats battle against Hunter to secure championships

The Baruch Bearcats had an action-packed week as they faced off in playoff games that would determine placements in the championships as their respective seasons ended. Notably, Baruch’s men’s soccer team and women’s tennis team had significant victories this week against rival Hunter College when the women’s tennis team won the CUNYAC championships, and the men’s soccer team secured a place in the championship game this upcoming week. 

Having beat CCNY on Thursday 4-1, the men’s soccer team secured a spot in the playoffs for the third consecutive year after beating Hunter 3-2 on Randall’s Islands Field Saturday afternoon. 

The Bearcats ended the first half tied 1-1, but junior Louis Madriz gave Baruch the much needed push with a goal early in the second half. Kosi Mbadiwe, who scored Baruch’s initial point in the first half, rounded the game out with the winning goal in the second half, giving the Bearcats the victorious point lead needed to win. Mbadiwe has attempted 17 shots this season, scoring two goals in this semifinal game. 

Although Hunter kept a tight game with six attempted shots, Baruch’s goalkeeper Jon Legasa salvaged four saves, helping the Bearcats to stay ahead. Legasa is averaging a 0.724 save percentage this season, with 55 saves overall. The Bearcats attempted 15 shots throughout the game, showing their eagerness to make it to the following championship game. 

With this win, the men’s soccer team is scheduled to play Brooklyn College on Saturday at Queens College. 

Another victory was seen in women’s tennis this week as the Bearcats won the CUNYAC championship against Hunter 5-1 on Thursday afternoon. 

Baruch junior Ava Deguzman, who won most of her matches this season, was named MVP after winning both her doubles and singles matches. Her win at first singles gave the team the fifth and final winning point. 

Notably, Erica Shelduenko and Aishika Yadav crushed second doubles 8-2. Yadav conquered her singles matches, as did Esther Benjamin, both with a six-point lead, 6-0, 6-0. Shelduenko also had a noteworthy season as she rounded out the season having won all her doubles with teammates Yadav and Shanae Love. 

Now, the team will make its fourth appearance in the NCAA tournament in May 2024. 

With these victories under Baruch’s belt, the athletic department anticipates a noteworthy year for the Bearcats across various sports. As women’s volleyball rounds out their season and the men’s soccer team prepares for this weekend’s championship game, student-athletes continue working hard to end their seasons on victorious notes with the support of the student body and faculty.