Baruch hosts Knicks youth basketball camp

Jahlil Rush

Kids between age six and fourteen gathered in Baruch College’s Athletic and Recreation Center for the New York Knicks’ Jr. Knicks Summer Basketball Camp throughout July.

Baruch hosted two sessions of a five-day training camp. The first session took place from July 10 through July 14 and the second session from July 17 through July 20.

The camp’s focus was to help participants develop offense, defense, shooting and other game fundamentals. Trainers and coaches worked with campers on basketball skills. They also aimed to improve participants’ confidence and ability to work in a collaborative team environment.

The program strives to foster a passion for basketball and love of the Knicks in the next generation of the team’s fans.

Former Knicks players like John Starks also assisted with the camp’s program and interacted with the participants. During a Baruch camp session, students had the opportunity to meet Jalen Brunson, a current point guard for the Knicks.

The Jr. Knicks Summer Basketball Camp is open to individuals of different skill-levels and children of any gender.

USA Sport Group, the organization that oversees the camp, provides sports camps and classes across the East Coast. According to USA Sport Group, Jr. Knicks’ mission is to “offer inspiration to players of all ages and ability levels through our extensive, targeted curricula.” It also says that its programs “pride ourselves in offering individual player development in a structured, enjoyable, and safe learning environment.”

The Knicks play in the Atlantic Division of the NBA’s Eastern Conference. The Knicks have sent teams to the NBA Finals eight times and won two championships in the 77 seasons.

Madison Square Garden, the home of the Knicks, is a less than 10-minute drive from Baruch. Before CUNY separated into different schools, the shared basketball team played at the Garden until 1951, when a point-shaving scandal resulted in the team being banned from the stadium.

Jr. Knicks Summer Basketball Camp sessions at different schools will continue through August. The Knicks will hold the camp in Westchester, Long Island, New Jersey and Pier 36 in Manhattan.

Both sessions held at Baruch cost $525.00 and sold out.

Registration for the camp is accessible on the NBA website. There are still seats available in upcoming camp sessions this year.