USG wants students to take charge by voting

Special to the Ticker | USG
Special to the Ticker | USG

From free food and polaroid pictures to a very successful Loft Party, we hope you all have had a wonderful first week here at Baruch College. 

The Undergraduate Student Government was happy to serve with our events all week long and we hope you bring the same
energy you showed us in the past week to “Homecoming” on Sept. 19. 

As your USG, we want to emphasize service whenever we can. In our Baruch community, it begins with your voice and making sure it is heard. 

With that said, I would like to personally thank everyone who responded to our survey throughout Welcome Week. 

In addition to that, as we approach National Voter Registration Day on Sept. 24, I wanted to draw attention to the importance of registration. 

Baruch has partnered with the nonprofit organization National Voter Registration Day in order to give Baruch students easy access to registering. Election Day is only two months away, and while it’s not a major election year, there are still some important local elections happening this year.

We will be tabling during club hours and will be available to answer any questions you may have about the process. It is a day to celebrate democracy and the long history of advocacy for voting rights. 

As USG, we want our constituents to be provided with as many opportunities as possible to be an active and participating member in our community. 

As Baruch students, and as CUNY students, we have to be vigilant in our efforts to advocate for our school and community. 

Notions that your vote does not matter are simply untrue. 

Each and every vote tells our elected officials what issues you care about. 

In order to participate in elections on Nov. 5, you must be registered by Oct. 11.

If you cannot make it on the day of the event, please don’t hesitate to stop by our suite to pick up the form. 

In a time of budget shortages and underfunded construction projects, being registered to vote provides the power to choose legislators who have our best interests in mind. 

Change can happen one registrant at a time — there is an incredible amount of influence behind a process that takes less than five minutes to complete, and students should definitely take advantage of this opportunity. 

Dakshatha Daggala is the president of USG. She can be reached at dakshatha.daggala@usgbaruch.com. Her office is located at 3-272 in the Newman Vertical Campus.