MoMA announces plans to close for renovation

Special to the Ticker

The Museum of Modern Art will close June 15 for renovation, with plans to reopen the campus with an expansion of more than 40,000 square feet on Oct. 21, 2019, bringing a broader approach to modern art in the city.

The expansion will allow MoMA to house new, experimental art in addition to its iconic pieces like Vincent van Gogh’s “The Starry Night.”

The revamped MoMA will allow artists from more diverse backgrounds to share their work with the art lovers in New York, giving more opportunities to exhibit the works of artists from a diverse array of cultures and backgrounds. The museum will reopen with Latin American- and African-American-based exhibitions: Sur moderno: Journeys of Abstraction and Betye Saar: The Legends of Black Girls Window, respectively.

The Paula and James Crown Platform on the second floor will allow visitors to make art and join conversations with other art enthusiasts. The expanded ground floor will feature the Sue and Edgar Wachenheim III Projects Gallery, which will be free to the public.

The new MoMA will reveal a presentation that highlights the creative affinities and frictions produced by displaying painting, sculpture, architecture, design, photography, media, performance, film and works on paper together. The museum will systematically rotate a selection of art in collection galleries every six to nine months, recognizing that “there is no single or complete history of modern and contemporary art,” a Feb. 5 MoMA statement read.

During the renovation period, MoMA PS1 in Long Island City, Queens, will remain open during its regular hours.

“We have an opportunity to re-energize and expand upon our founding mission,” Glenn D. Lowry, the David Rockefeller director of MoMA said in a statement, “to welcome everyone to experience MoMA as a laboratory for the study and presentation of the art of our time, across all visual arts.”