Lady Like (Deluxe) delivers more on Ingrid Andress’ debut

Warner Music Nashville

Lady Like (Deluxe), the debut album of country singer Ingrid Andress, was released on Oct. 2. The album, originally released in March, was re-released with the addition of three new songs.

“My love life and emotions are always all over the place. And with the new songs as a part of the deluxe, I felt like this special track listing was a perfect way to let fans inside my head a little bit more,” Andress said in a statement on her website.

While Lady Like is Andress’ first album, she is no newcomer in the music industry. She has co-written pop songs for artists such as Charli XCX, Bebe Rexha, Lauren Jauregui, Dove Cameron, FLETCHER and more.

A cover of Charli XCX’s 2017 single “Boys,” which Andress helped write, is featured on her debut. It puts a country spin on the pop hit, trading the electronic dings for plucky guitar strings.

Andress’ production struggles to be innovative in either the country or pop genres but is sonically solid and cohesive. The tracks are mostly built around piano, using a mix of instruments such as guitars, string quartets and drums to create mellow pop elements that elevate the songs.

Lady Like (Deluxe) has just the right balance of heartfelt ballads like “Both” and “Feeling Things,” quirky tunes such as “Bad Advice”, and bittersweet anthems in “Waste of Lime ” and “Life of the Party.”

Songwriting is the most notable aspect of this album, capturing a wide range of emotions and topics. Standout tracks include single “More Hearts Than Mine,” on which Andress sings about the emotional stake in bringing someone home to the family.

The platinum-selling song won the Nashville Songwriter Award for 2020 Song of the Year, presented by The Nashville Songwriters Association International.

The deluxe album features a reworking of this track with Kimberly Schlapman and Karen Fairchild of Little Big Town. This stripped-down version brings the song to a whole new level, as the harmonies in the chorus soar and amplify the emotional impact.

The lyricism in “We’re Not Friends” tells a classic story. They paint a visual image: “We’re a kiss at 2 AM that tastes like wine / A ride home in the dark with our fingers intertwined.”

“The Stranger” is vulnerable as Andress mourns the initial spark in a fading relationship. “Sometimes I wish I didn’t know you at all / So we could do it all over,” she sings.

Her talent shines through on the title track “Lady Like” where she twists the phrase’s definition as politeness into individuality and empowerment.

Aptly described as “a slow-burning anthem of independence” by Robert Crawford of Rolling Stone, the track aims to step out of typical gender roles for women.

“Being ladylike isn’t some set of rules etched in stone. It’s ever-changing, ever-evolving, and up to each individual to define on their own terms. To me, being ladylike is about courage, strength, compassion, leadership and love,” Andress said about the song in an Instagram post.

Lady Like (Deluxe) gives country-pop fans an introduction to what Andress can do and her bright potential for the future.