USG Report: How I joined USG and how you can too

Courtesy of USG

Hey there, Bearcats! In the past months, I have received many inquiries on how to join USG and there is more than one way to do so.

I started my journey at USG after coincidentally finding myself in the USG suite after getting lost on convocation day.

I met a USG representative who gave me a survival guide and the list of committees in USG. From the list, I became interested in the student affairs committee and joined it under the leadership of Erica Yang, the vice president and chair of the committee at the time.

As the years progressed, I found myself taking the initiative to discover more about USG and taking the opportunity to hold more responsibilities. I started as a student affairs member, was interviewed for vice chair of student affairs the next year, ran for election for chair of student affairs, and then ran for my current position as USG’s president during my junior year.

Every year, I discovered more and more about the organization, which motivates me to explore deeper and find out what I can learn from the community and shape my leadership styles as I meet the different student leaders on campus.

To answer the question “How can I join USG now?” you can find the description of each of our committees which are led by different people on our website.

After you read the description of the committee you’re interested in, email the chair of the committee for more information.

There are not many qualifications to join USG as a member and you can join regardless of your year. The only time that qualifications are required is if you run for a leadership position. When the time comes and you want to run for a position, go for it. You are the author of your collegiate journey.

As we are approaching the midterm season, I’m sure we are all either taking midterms already or preparing for it, so I wish you all the best and good luck.