Elsewhere’s move to Minecraft builds innovative nightlife and virtual performances

Danielle Epel | The Ticker

Along with the incredible hyper-pop and indie musical acts, the server itself provided people with a unique escape from staying inside during this uncertain time. Artists like Doja Cat made a musical guest star appearance, while American duo 100 Gecs could be found roaming the VIP room. It was truly a virtually unforgettable night.

Players also got the opportunity to upgrade their status to VIP, giving them access to more rooms, exclusive in-game merchandise and chats with some of the artists on Discord. The VIP upgrade cost five dollars and altogether, Elsewhere was able to raise over $8,000 for Good360’s COVID-19 relief projects. Other portions of the server’s venue had embedded links to buy actual merchandise from American Football or to support the artists playing at the virtual club by going to their Spotify. At the virtual bars, there were also Minecraft picket signs with “tip your bartender” written across, encouraging players to donate to Elsewhere’s employee GoFundMe. Seeing as all those employed by the venue are out of jobs right now, Elsewhere made sure to keep those hardworking individuals in mind.

This event had an incredible turnout for all parties involved. Artists got a chance to expand their audience, Elsewhere explored new mediums of putting on a show and Open Pit incorporated technology that was typically untapped by the music industry. Most music and nightlife venues in the world are shuttered and worried about how they are going to make ends meet while all shows are postponed or canceled. In the upcoming weeks and months, businesses and especially venues that rely on people to leave their homes are going to have to get creative with how they can connect with their communities. Everyone is still here, waiting to be dazzled by what they know and love about concerts. Even though the live element has to be pushed aside, Elsewhere serves as a prime example of not letting the harsher times swallow anyone up.