MOB welcomes back old members for panel

The Marketers of Baruch club hosted its semiannual “MOB Alumni Night” on Mar. 4, where current MOB members invited alumni of the club to share their experiences after graduation. 

The club invited alumni who have jobs in the marketing field to talk to younger members and network with them. 

“So, this is our alumni night, it’s an event that we hosted every single semester and is basically that we have the alumni organization come back, talk about their experiences and their journeys in Baruch College, but also post-graduation and how they kind of ended up into the world in where they are today,” said Tommy Wu, the executive vice president of the club.

It can be a helpful event for the members who are hoping to get marketing jobs after graduating Baruch.

“They are bringing people who are in MOB and the industries we want to go into, like, marketing so it is just really helpful to hear them talk about how they started in the marketing, like, major or along those lines and where they end up in the marketing field,” said Nicole Tarasiuk, member of the content creating committee of the club.

For MOB, the goal of this night is “to inspire students who need more guide in the industry or the professionalism but also to inspire people to be in the club and to be a part of it,” Wu said.

The event was punctuated by several moments. A buffet was served at the beginning of it.

The five alumni present — four women and one man — were seated in front of the members.

Each spoke about their fields of study, including digital or advertising research foundation, and their paths to get there. 

They also mentioned the positive aspects of their jobs, as well as the disadvantages.

Members of the audience were also able to ask the guests questions about their backgrounds and how they managed to get their first internships. 

The alumni gave many tips on securing an interview and how to improve resumes. 

The guests emphasized the importance of being part of an organization within the university, as a way of learning how to work in groups and understanding skills, which it is useful for future jobs.

They also gave advice on how to decompress outside of work, such as playing sports or valuing the time you set aside for friends and family.

For students, this event was important in order to prepare the members for the future. 

“It gave me…people who have been in the club and people who have jobs in certain areas that I might be interested in,” first-year and marketing major Omayralis Balbuena said. 

“Hearing people’s experiences just made me think about the fact that it is something that I want to do in the future cause I do want to explore and see, and they also give useful information about internships,” they said.