Men’s basketball and volleyball teams highlight strong week

Denis Gostev | Baruch Athletics
Denis Gostev | Baruch Athletics

On Jan. 22, the Baruch women’s basketball team lost to the College of Staten Island Dolphins by a score of 74-59. 

The most effective players for the Bearcats were sophomore Milly Ye, who led the team with 17 points scored.

Ye shot a phenomenal 70% from the field, converting on 7 of her 10 shots attempted. 

Daniela Zirpolo was right behind her, scoring 16 points and totaling 7 rebounds. 

Melinda Spahiu also recorded a double-double of 14 points and 11 rebounds. 

It must be noted that the Dolphins are in the midst of a NCAA Division II promotion. This means that the exhibition has no bearing on the CUNYAC standings. 

The following game, the Bearcats routed the City College of New York Beavers by a score of 90-56. 

The tone of the matchup was set after the Bearcats went on a 17-4 scoring tear to close the opening quarter, ultimately taking full control of the game. 

Valensia Michie scored 16 points, Ye totaled 19 points and Frances Snyder almost had a double-double with 12 points and 9 rebounds. 

However, the standout players were Zirpolo and Spahiu.

Zirpolo came a single assist away from recording a triple double, and Spahiu came 2 assists and 5 steals shy of a quadruple double. 

The Bearcats also played near immaculate defense and held the Beavers to a mere 27% field goal percentage throughout the matchup. 

To conclude their week, the Bearcats lost their matchup on Jan. 27 to New Jersey City University Knights. 

This matchup was characterized by offensive inefficiency, as the two teams shot approximately 30% on field goal attempts. 

In a lackluster matchup, Sameera Ahmed led the Bearcats, scoring 11 points. 

The men’s basketball Bearcats won their matchup against the College of Staten Island Dolphins on Jan. 24, despite being trailing their opponent by a single point at halftime. 

In the final 17 minutes of the matchup, the Bearcats finished off the Dolphins with a devastating 17-4 run. 

The final score was 74-55. The win was the Bearcats’ fourth home win in five matches.

Adnan Bajrami paced the Bearcats with 21 points scored. 

In the following matchup against the CCNY Beavers, the Bearcats easily blew by their competition. 

The win was their 21st win in the last 22 home matches. 

The Bearcats were playing lockdown defense since the opening tip, limiting the Beavers to only five field goals made in the first 20 minutes. 

Again, Bajrami scored over 20 points, and Emil Purisic scored a career-high 16 points off the bench, while converting 7 of 8 shots attempted. 

Then, on Jan. 27, the Bearcats faced off against the Worcester State University Lancers. Despite trailing for the first eight minutes of the match, the Bearcats rallied to lead by 14 points with two minutes and 33 seconds left in the first half. 

The win was the 22nd in their last 23 matches at ARC Arena. 

Bajrami added another 15 points and was once more the leading scorer. 

On Jan. 24, the men’s volleyball Bearcats played Johnson and Wales University. 

The Bearcats won their matchup 3 sets to 1. 

They were led by Artem Zinkin, who totaled not only 19 kills but also 6 digs. 

The leading assister was Edward Grinberg, who recorded an impressive 39 assists. 

The win was the first for the Bearcats this season. 

In the second match of the day, against the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, the Bearcats fell short in a disappointing four-set match. 

Again, Zinkin led the Bearcats in kills, while Defeng Han led the team with 9 digs. 

The following day, the Bearcats faced the University of California, Santa Cruz Banana Slugs.

This matchup was a stand-out one, as the Slugs were ranked 14th in the nation. 

The Bearcats lost their matchup in a deciding fifth set to the Slugs. 

However, the Bearcats bounced back and were victorious in their next matchup against the Keuka College Wolves. 

The win put them at a neutral 2-2 in the Johnson and Wales Invitational. 

Zinkin had 16 kills and 11 digs, while Grinberg totaled a near immaculate 51 assists.