UNICEF at Baruch club supports childrens’ causes

Peter Morgan | The Ticker

Baruch College’s UNICEF chapter gives students the opportunity to play an essential role in humanitarianism by assisting children around the world dealing with difficult circumstances.

“UNICEF is like a branch of the United Nations,” said Co-Vice President of Marketing Diana Guzman Bisono.

The club works with UNICEF USA in order to shed light on the many issues that children across the globe experience, raising money for these children in causes such as hunger, sanitation, education and more.

The club has several methods of raising money, which include organizing in-school tabling events, hosting info sessions, and providing large scale events and out-of-school volunteer opportunities to allow college students to help achieve UNICEF’s Millennium Development Goals, the organization’s website explains.

The club is open to all students, regardless of major.

However, being that UNICEF has different positions in fields such as marketing and finance, in addition to other non-business roles, an opportunity arises to gain skills in all aspects.

Within the club, students have different motives of wanting to be a part of the community.

“My actual dream in life [is] to help others, especially for education and hunger,” said Guzman Bisono, a marketing management major. 

“When I saw that there was a UNICEF club here, I got excited and decided to join. This year, I would like to be more active in marketing and the promotions of UNICEF in order to share more about cause.”

For other club members, UNICEF was something that they just decided to try out but ended up really enjoying.

“I joined UNICEF to put something on my resume, but eventually I fell in love with the club and its cause,” said Lliguichushca. 

“The people that you meet in the club are genuine and I admire them.”

In addition, the club has had different opportunities to be a part of a grand movement that helps children get essential necessities that they once lacked.

“Last year, we had the opportunity to go to Washington D.C. to the UNICEF USA event, which is where we were taught how to lead the cause,” said Guzman Bisono.

“We were able to incorporate what we learned and bring it to Baruch. We hosted ‘World Water Day Event’ on campus to assimilate the struggles of children belonging to poor cultures.” 

“We can never do justice to what it is actually like for these children carrying water for miles, but we can illustrate it,” he said.

Students who partake in this club said they truly benefit from it. 

It gives them the chance to take up a leadership role and help children reach their full potential by assisting them with needs that limit them.

“UNICEF is a great way to remain humble and to show involvement in philanthropy,” said Lliguichushca. 

“It’s awesome because I have the opportunity to lead and inspire.”