Haasan Reddick traded to New York Jets

The Philadelphia Eagles traded All-Pro edge-rusher Haason Reddick to the New York Jets. ESPN Senior NFL Insider Adam Schefter announced the news on X, formerly known as Twitter, on March 29.

As the NFL’s free agency continues, players are continuously signing and being traded to new teams.

National Insider for the NFL Ian Rapoport announced on X Feb. 11 that the Eagles had permitted its star edge-rusher, Reddick, to seek a trade.

The Eagles traded Reddick to the Jets for a conditional 2026 third-round pick that could transition into a second-round pick under some conditions.

The Eagles can obtain the second-round pick if Reddick plays 67.5% during the season and must have 10 or more sacks. If one of the two conditions isn’t met, the third-round pick would be sent from the Jets.

Schefter also announced that, since Reddick is in the last year of his deal, if he can’t agree to an extension with the Jets, it would receive a compensatory pick. The pick number and year are unknown.

Over Reddick’s career, he spent three years with the Arizona Cardinals, one year with the Carolina Panthers and two years with the Philadelphia Eagles before being traded to the Jets.

In the last four years, he acquired 50.5 sacks, 144 solo tackles and 113 quarterback hits.

In 2022, he was also voted first team All-Conference by the Pro Football Writers, second team by the Associated Press and first team by Pro Football Writers.

The Eagles trading away Reddick doesn’t make its defense worse since it signed former New York Jets edge-rusher Bryce Huff during free agency to a three-year deal worth $51 million.

The trade adds more draft capital. The Eagles can use the pick when the time comes, or it can trade it away. The Eagles are still expected to reappear in the playoffs, and some will say it will win the National Football Conference in the east.

The New York Jets benefit from the Reddick trade immensely because of its loss of Huff in the open market.

It is trading a pick that will be given up two years from now. If Reddick walks in free agency next season, it will get a pick in return if he signs with another team—the ultimate win-win situation.

The Jets are in an “all-in” year, trying to obtain talented, proven players who can give them the best shot to win the Super Bowl.

The Jets’ playoff expectations are up in the air because of its issues with its offense. It all depends on whether the Jets’ offensive line can stay healthy, despite its new acquisitions.

Its expectations also rely on whether future Hall of Fame quarterback Aaron Rodgers can stay healthy coming off from a season-ending injury, tearing his Achilles.