Bengals star running back, Joe Mixon, traded to Houston Texans

Alexandra Adelina Nita

The National Football League’s free agency period began on March 11, marking all teams’ ability to legally tamper with players.

During the day, free agents come to agreements with teams. Players officially signed the contracts on March 13 at 4 p.m., which indicated the start of the league year.

The Cincinnati Bengals officially signed former Indianapolis Colts running back Zack Moss on the evening of March 11. 

ESPN’s Senior NFL Insider Adam Schefter announced on X, formerly known as Twitter, that Moss and the Bengals agreed upon a three-year, $8 million deal, including a $4.525 million payout in year one. 

This occurred while Bengals star running back Joe Mixon was still on the team. Minutes later, Schefter announced that Mixon had been released.

Mixon was a one-time pro bowler and rushed over 1,000 yards four times during his time with the Bengals.

National Insider for NFL Network Ian Rapoport announced on March 12 that the Bengals are trading Mixon to the Houston Texans, rather than just releasing him. Trade details were not available at the time.

However, trade details were later announced on March 14 by NFL Network Insider Tom Pelissero on X.

The Texans had traded a 2024 seventh-round pick, no. 224 to the Bengals for Mixon. 

Hours later, Mixon received a contract extension from the Texans. He signed a three-year, $27 million contract, with $13 million guaranteed. The details were released by NFL Insider for Bleacher Report Jordan Schultz.

The Texans are a team on the rise, going into its second season under its new regime. 

Obtaining Mixon is a huge benefit for the Texans and second-year starting quarterback CJ Stroud. He adds explosiveness, vision and veteran leadership to the team. Mixon is a good receiving back, which adds a dual threat that the Texans did not have last season.

In addition, he can help the offense by giving his insight on what he sees from opposing defenses that others might overlook. 

Moreover, Mixon can share his winning mentality and past experiences coming from a team that had made playoffs twice in the past three years, including making it to the Super Bowl during one of those years.

As for the Bengals, Mixon’s release could be damaging. Losing Mixon means there is one less threat that opposing teams must worry about. 

Other teams’ focus will be on defending superstar wide receiver Jammar Chase and star wide receiver Tee Higgins, who is currently playing on a franchise tag.  

Moss looked good during his time on the Colts behind a stronger offensive line while its starting running back Johnathan Taylor had sat out from contract extension issues. Can the Bengals’ offensive line help Moss be productive?

In a strong American Football Conference, the Texans are expected to reappear in the playoffs, while the same goes for the Bengals with a healthy starting quarterback, Joe Burrow, and company.