Gov. Hochul deploys National Guard to subways in response to recent crimes

Travis Zheng

Heads up New Yorkers — the National Guard is coming to New York City subway stations. Soldiers will patrol high-traffic stations and can order random bag checks. Riders have the right to refuse, but in the process, they may forfeit the right to enter that station. This development comes after Gov. Kathy Hochul announced a new plan to combat subway crime due to a string of violent attacks in subways since the start of the year.

On March 6, Hochul publicly revealed a five-point plan aimed at protecting New Yorkers on the subways. 

Hochul said her plan includes an increase in state personnel — 750 members of the National Guard and 250 members of the New York State Police — making 1,000 in total who would assist the NYPD in enforcing mandatory bag checks. 

The plan also included a bill banning people who have been convicted of assaulting anyone within the system, which includes subway commuters and is not limited to the assault of transit workers.

The plan proposed cameras inside of train cars with the goal of helping present personnel locate repeat offenders and focus on protecting workers, who have often been targets.

Regular meetings between law enforcement and District Attorneys are included in Hochul’s plan to ensure coordination and support in the sharing of information about repeat offenders. 

$20 million were given by Hochul’s plan to expand a SCOUT pilot program with teams of social workers equipped to address severe cases of mental health crises within the subway system and support those without access to mental health treatments and housing. 

Officers will not be present in every subway station across the city, but they are present in places with the highest levels of foot traffic. 

In 2022, the MTA released data ranking the busiest stations in NYC — with Times Square, Grand Central and 34th Street in the top three. 

This raises another concern regarding crime and the presence of National Guard members in less popular stations throughout the city. 

According to Bloomberg, a man was fatally shot on a 3 train in Brooklyn after trying to control an argument over loud music. 

A shooting took place on Feb. 12 in the Bronx, when an argument between teenagers on the 4 train quickly became violent. 

Another man was killed on a D train in the Bronx on Feb. 23. 

Hochul seems to be very aware of the crimes that have taken place in the subways this year alone. 

On X, formerly known as Twitter, she released a video statement in which she addressed NYC residents, vowing to restore peace of mind “to those who are feeling anxious whenever they walk through those turnstiles.” 

But many are concerned that the governor’s five-point plan designed to keep subway riders safe may be an overreaction leading to the unnecessary stop and frisk of Black and people of color commuters in the subway.

Some believe that this will only lead to more violence, while others believe that the mandate and more police presence in the subway is long overdue.