Rock & Roll Hall of Fame announces nominees for 2020 induction

exc-5d9278e73bc3793e758c026d
exc-5d9278e73bc3793e758c026d

The ballots for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2020 has officially been released, and artists, music journalists, music historians and classic rock fanatics are all butting heads to decide which five lucky artists will be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

The Class of 2020 nominees showcases an eclectic mix of 16 artists who have made their mark on genres ranging all the way from hip-hop to pop to glam rock.

Standout first-time nominees include Dave Matthews Band, Pat Benatar, Thin Lizzy, T. Rex, Whitney Houston, Soundgarden and The Notorious B.I.G, while music legends MC5, Chaka Khan and Todd Rundgren return to the ballot.

To be considered for induction, artists, including performers, composers and/or musicians, must meet two eligibility requirements: their potential induction year must fall 25 years after the release of their first commercial recording and they must have exhibited what the hall would deem an “unquestionable” display of musical talent and excellence. Their contributions will have had a significant impact on rock ‘n’ roll’s development, evolution and preservation.

Since it began inducting artists in 1986, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame has been open to inducting artists from a wide array of genres other than rock, such as country, R&B, funk and blues by popular vote.

However, in recent years, the hall has been considering artists stemming from pop and rap and hip-hop genres, which has caused massive controversy and fervor in the rock community.

The Hall’s first class of inductees included heavy-hitters like Chuck Berry, Elvis Presley, Sam Cooke, James Brown and Buddy Holly, whose contribution to rock ‘n’ roll are unquestionable. 

But recent inductees such as N.W.A. from the Class of 2016, Tupac Shakur from the Class of 2017 and Janet Jackson from the Class of 2019 have caused a wave of controversy that’s polarized critics and fans alike.

Some believe that these artists have rightfully earned their spots, while rock purists believe the only performers that should be included in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame are artists that keep the sound of rock music alive. 

Others, like Ice Cube, a member of N.W.A., have suggested that rock culture transcends genres.

“Rock ‘n’ roll is not conforming to the people who came before you,” expressed Ice Cube during N.W.A.’s induction acceptance speech.

“But creating your own path in music and in life. That is rock ‘n’ roll and that is us.”

As of the Oct. 21-Oct. 27 week, four-time Grammy Award winner Pat Benatar is leading the “Fan Vote” category with 177,844 fan votes. 

Benatar, who is a pioneer of the punchy and gritty pop-rock sound, made her mark in the music scene with her song “Hit Me with Your Best Shot.” Released in 1980, the song reached No. 7 on Cashbox and No. 9 on the Billboard Hot 100. 

Following closely behind with 151,578 fan votes is Soundgarden, who introduced the world to the grunge music genre.

The genre would become a symbol of youth culture of the early 1990s. 

Going strong with 151,578 fan votes, Soundgarden’s induction would also help to commemorate the end of the band’s run after the death of its lead singer, Chris Cornell, in May 2017.

As the years rock ‘n’ roll on, fans have slowly been changing the way they define what rock can look and sound like.

And despite all the backlash, every artist that was nominated for The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2020 has proven to the world that they have made an impact on music history.