The Chiefs, Mahomes take home the Super Bowl

The Kansas City Chiefs and its quarterback, Patrick Mahomes, took home their third Super Bowl trophy in the last five years with a final score of 25-22 on Feb. 11. Mahomes was named Super Bowl MVP for the third time. 

The Chiefs are the only team in the last 20 years to win back-to-back Super Bowls. Before that, it was the Tom Brady-led New England Patriots in 2003 and 2004. 

The 49ers started the game with the football. On its first drive, the Chiefs defense made running back Christian McCaffrey, the 2023 offensive player of the year, fumble the ball, helping the offense get on the field.

The 49ers defense looked dominant early in the game. On the following drive, the 49ers kicker Jake Moody put them up 3-0. 

In the second quarter, Mahomes completed a 52-yard pass to Marquez Valdes-Scantling, putting them in a scoring position. The Chiefs ‘running back, Isaiah Pacheco, fumbled the ball at the goal line. 

Shortly before halftime, wide receiver Jauan Jennings made a spectacular pass to McCaffrey for the first touchdown of the game. The 49ers had the lead going into the half. 

After Usher’s halftime performance, things started to pick up for both teams. On the first drive, Pacheco fumbled again for a loss of yardage but recovered the football. 

In the next play, Mahomes threw an interception while targeting superstar tight end Travis Kelce. 

Chiefs kicker Harrison Butker broke the record for the longest field goal in Super Bowl history — 57 yards — which gave the Chiefs its first lead of the night. 

To kick off the fourth quarter, Brock Purdy and the 49ers’ offense marched down the field, ending in a Purdy to Jennings touchdown, regaining the lead. 

In its next possession, the 49ers went downfield with the drive, resulting in another field goal by Moody. The score was 19-16, 49ers. 

The Chiefs were looking for a spark in its offense with the game on the line. When you think the game is over, you never count out Patrick Mahomes, no matter how much time is on the clock. 

With one minute and 50 seconds left, the Chiefs marched down the field, including a big-time play by Kelce, giving them a red zone opportunity with just three seconds to spare. They managed to tie the game, 19-19, as the game headed into overtime. 

During overtime, the 49ers won the coin toss and elected to receive the football. Immediately, Purdy and the 49ers offense went down the field into red zone territory. With the game on the line, Chris Jones, Chiefs defensive tackle, made a game-saving stop on third and goal. 

The Chiefs’ hopes to win still had life. The 49ers kicked a field goal. The score was 22-19, 49ers. Mahomes gets one last drive. He knows the next time he walks off, they’ll either be Super Bowl champions or not. They get right to work. 

Mahomes and company finally got into the rhythm they needed. It was fourth and one; the game is on the line. It could’ve been the ending of the game. The ball was snapped. He took it himself to pick up the first down, bringing hope to the team and its supporters. 

The Chiefs were about to score. Mahomes dropped back and connected with wide receiver Mecole Hardman for a touchdown, sealing the game. 

Mahomes has won three Super Bowls by the age of 28, following the path of the greatest quarterback of all time, Tom Brady. He ended his career with a total of seven Super Bowl championship victories. The race to Brady is on!