‘Mr. and Mrs. Smith’ is a fun, suspenseful take on original film

Screenshot from Mr. and Mrs. Smith trailer | Amazon Prime Video

Amazon Prime Video’s “Mr. and Mrs. Smith” reimagines Doug Liman’s 2005 blockbuster of the same name with a modern twist. With guest stars like John Turturro, Paul Dano and Sarah Paulson, the 2024 reboot focuses on a relatable suburban narrative. Developed by “Atlanta” showrunners Donald Glover and Francesca Sloane, the show was released after nearly two years of delays and a major recasting.

“Mr. and Mrs. Smith” speaks of a compelling, impromptu relationship between the creative and competitive John Smith, played by Glover, and the professional “Type A” Jane Smith, portrayed by Maya Erskine. They have a singular goal: to complete high-risk missions while posing as a happily married couple.

From the beginning, Jane and John’s previous lives are shrouded in mystery, with both the viewer and the characters left in the dark. They receive mission information from their handler, an unknown presence on the other side of a chat log.

As they try to execute missions with minimal casualties, the audience can’t help but wonder: what happens to them if they fail?

Despite marketing itself as a suspenseful action series, intense chases and secretive espionage only take up a small fraction of the scenes.

If anything, “Mr. and Mrs. Smith” is an in-depth character drama about committed relationships and marital miscommunication. The character growth in the show is authentic; despite Glover and Erskine attending NYU simultaneously, they never met before production.

Glover mentioned in an interview with Jimmy Fallon that the intentional awkwardness shown in the first episode was “ripe,” but that chemistry between them only emphasizes the characters’ unusual situation.

“Mr. and Mrs. Smith” is a clear step outside Glover and Erskine’s typical roles, but as the episodes progress, the actors begin to ease into their roles with charm.

Both leads hold the audience’s attention when they’re on screen, but it doesn’t feel like a competition. They laugh off police chases and crack jokes after effortlessly delivering a bomb, all while disputing the name of their household cat. The plot relies on their chemistry, and both Glover and Erskine offer authentic banter and dialogue.

Glover and Sloane’s remake leaves behind Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’s unflappable demeanor in the original “Mr. and Mrs. Smith.”

Still, the show pays a deep homage to the source material with classic spy tropes like truth serum, gun shootouts and earpiece conversations with familiar faces. Notably, the inclusion of a marriage therapist, portrayed by Paulson, adds a crucial touch of humor to the production. 

While Pitt and Jolie create a sensual relationship based on espionage, Glover and Erskine embrace their own challenges in an imperfect and profoundly vulnerable way.

The writing is clever and quick, and can often feel overwhelming as it flips through drama, comedy, thriller and action within the span of a few scenes. The show leans into this versatility.

However, it subverts all genres, quickly moving through each episode and each mission with a clear artistic vision. The series is suspenseful, with not only Jane and John’s lives at risk but their relationship as well. 

For Amazon Prime’s “Mr. and Mrs. Smith,” don’t have any expectations while watching. It’s far different from its predecessor and dabbles in too many genres to be categorized. However, one thing remains unchanged: this television adaptation remains one of the most compelling, self-assured creations of 2024.