Lindsey Post “really excited” for training camp opportunity with PWHL New York

Training camp starts up in a couple weeks for PWHL New York. The training camp rosters were released along with each team’s invites on Oct. 16. Lindsey Post, a Canadian-born goaltender, is one of New York’s invites.

Post has played the previous four years with SDE Hockey in the Swedish Women’s Hockey League. For Post, coming back to North America for this upcoming season was a move she felt like she had to make.

“I kind of needed something new, playing with the same team for four years. I felt like I had done all I could do for that club,” Post said when interviewed.

Post got an agent earlier this year to help her navigate her future plans and find another team to play for in her return to North America.

“Everything kind of just blew up with women’s hockey. One day, I just opened my phone, and I was like ‘Wow, I wasn’t expecting that at all’. But it’s really exciting now to be able to have this opportunity.”

The announcement and startup of the PWHL has rocked the women’s hockey world. A new opportunity for players to make a better salary than before, while still playing the sport they love.

“It’s exciting to now have the opportunity to earn a spot and earn an actual livable wage,” Post says.

Now with this tryout approaching in the coming weeks, Post couldn’t be more excited to get going.

“I’m really excited. The fact that I have grinded for six years since graduating. This experience is definitely not something I want to miss out on.”

Post played her college hockey at the University of Alberta. She played in 92 games across five seasons with the Pandas. She holds the record at the school for the most wins by a goalie all time, with 62. She also holds the record for most career shutouts in Pandas history at 31.

For the whole time she spent with the Pandas, her head coach was Howie Draper, who is now the head coach of PWHL New York.

“It’s gonna be really exciting to have the opportunity to play for him again. He’s definitely the best coach that I’ve ever played for.”

She added that having him there will make it a much more comfortable experience at camp.

Post thinks of this shot with New York as a “make it or break it” situation for herself.

“I told myself, ‘ok you have until these tryouts to either make it or move on, in other aspects of your life.’ So, I guess I put a lot of pressure on myself.”

“I’m very interested to see what happens on the ice,” Post said. It will be interesting to see how New York builds their roster as they prepare for their inaugural season.