Despite the loss, Jets’ Wilson impresses against defending champs

Week 4’s final game saw the Defending Super Bowl Champion Kansas City Chiefs take on the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium. The result was much closer than most expected, with the Chiefs only leading by three points, 23-20.

The Chiefs ran the ball effectively in the 1st quarter, as Chiefs Running Back Isiah Pacheco broke free for a 48-yard touchdown to extend the Chiefs lead to 10-0.

On their next possession, Quarterback Patrick Mahomes tossed a 34-yard touchdown to backup Tight End Noah Gray, which brought the Chiefs to a commanding 17-0 lead with 3:32 remaining in the quarter.

Meanwhile, the Jets, led by former 2021 2nd overall pick Zach Wilson, mustered just 32 offensive yards before the start of the 2nd quarter, with boos raining down from the Jets’ faithful.

However, their fortunes would soon change. After the Jets’ defense pinned the Chiefs’ offense back to their own endzone, securing a safety to bring the game to 17-2, Zach Wilson led the Jets into field goal range to cut the lead to 12 points.

Mahomes then threw an interception to Jets’ Safety Ashtyn Davis, which Zach Wilson turned into a 41-yard drive with a one-yard touchdown pass to Jets Tight End C.J. Uzomah.

At halftime, the Chiefs led 20-12, a stark change from the impressive 17-0 lead they compiled in less than 12 minutes.

However, the Jets received the second-half kickoff, and Zach Wilson showcased arguably the most incredible drive of his NFL career.

The 24-year-old completed all five passes for 75 yards, the last of which was a sharp, 10-yard dime through a tight window to Wide Receiver Allen Lazard. After bringing the score to 20-18, the Jets offense opted for a two-point conversion to try and level the game, which saw Wilson scramble, evade multiple tackles, and dive into the endzone to knot the game at 20 a piece.

The third quarter saw barely any action apart from a 26-yard field goal by Kicker Harrison Butker that put the Chiefs up 23-20.

Zach Wilson put on a spectacular showing in the matchup until his first drive in the fourth quarter ended in a fumble, recovered by the Chiefs’ defense. From there, the Chiefs took possession of the ball and ran down the clock, sealing a narrow three-point road win.

Despite the heartbreaking loss, many critics and fans praised Wilson for his performance. Wilson became the first opposing Quarterback in Mahomes’ incredible career to have more completions, more passing yards, more TD passes, and fewer interceptions than the 28-year-old signal caller.