BREAKING: Baruch announces return to in-person classes, campus internet not fully restored

Agata Poniatowski

Baruch College announced in-person classes will resume on Oct. 2 in a mass communication sent to students around 5 p.m. on Sept. 29. 

Baruch notified students that the network connectivity is not yet fully restored and likely will not be for several days.  

“We encourage you to bring your cell phone fully charged to campus in case you need to access the internet through your cell service,” the statement said. 

Not all faculty and staff will be in-person on Oct. 2 – there will be a “phased approach” to the restoration of operating systems and the staff return will also be in phases.

The Office of Student Life informed club leaders that all in-person events from Oct.2 to Oct. 6 will be canceled in a separate email on Sept. 29 at 4:43 p.m. It advised clubs to work with OSL advisors to make events online and postpone any vendor orders. The email did not specify when in-person activities and events can resume.

No update was provided regarding if student and faculty personal information like social security numbers and bank account numbers were compromised. The communication only advised students to “Please understand that this was a significant event.” 

However, all student login passwords will need to be reset, according to the statement. It said students will receive a prompt to reset but did not specify when.

The library will be open to students starting Oct. 2 for its typical hours of 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Student support services such as advising, counseling, tutoring, the BOSS and others will continue to operate remotely until further notice. Appointments can be scheduled using Navigate. The resources’ websites are also accessible.

The Student Health Center will be open for in-person appointments.

Baruch did not share an anticipated date for complete system restoration.