BREAKING: Baruch closed for the remainder of the week amid malware attack

Agata Poniatowski

Baruch College extended remote learning through Oct. 1 after announcing on Sept. 27 that the network outages across the campus were due to a malware attack

The physical campus is unavailable for general access to students but is open to essential staff. The library will be open for laptop loans and limited services on Thursday and Friday 9-5 p.m., but will remain closed Saturday and Sunday.

Baruch notified faculty of the continuing remote learning about 3:30 p.m. on Sept. 27.

It was not specified what type of malware attack was made against Baruch’s network.

Baruch Computing and Technology Center and other departments have restored some of Baruch’s network, including the website and Baruch’s email. It did not state if any other services are back up or when they will be restored. 

Pending updates, the BCTC expects on-campus classes and activities to resume on Oct. 2. 

Club events typically held on Thursdays are canceled or held remotely. 

Another mass email, sent out by Michele Doney, the director of the Student and Academic Consulting Center, reported that most services will continue to either run remotely or be unavailable. 

SACC’s TutorTrac service is still unavailable. Instead of the usual small-group tutoring services, it will now offer “drop-in tutoring” via Zoom. Workshops, the BAR Program and weekly individual tutoring will all be conducted virtually.

Due to the internet outage, peer mentors hired through the New Student and Family Programs at Baruch also cannot update their timesheets, causing payments to be delayed until Oct. 11.

View Comments (1)