BREAKING: Baruch remains remote amid malware shutdown

Nicole Bryk

Remote learning has been extended through Sept. 27 as a result of a campus-wide malware issue, Baruch College announced on Sept. 26.. 

“We are resolving the network outage, and as we continue to make progress, all Baruch students are being asked to continue working and attending class remotely,” Baruch said in a mass email communication. 

In a meeting with faculty on Sept. 26 Baruch confirmed that the campus-wide outages were the result of a malware attack. 

They also clarified that the breach is not a ransomware attack. 

Ransomware is a type of malware, but differs in that the data is held captive by the attackers until they provide a payment. 

Malware refers to any access to IT systems that was not authorized.  

In the same email communication, Baruch advised students to “Please monitor Blackboard and your email for updates from your instructors.”

However, Baruch email correspondence has been disrupted since the outage began on Sept. 25.

Professors and faculty experienced issues sending communications from their Baruch email account on Sept. 25.

While some faculty communications sent on Sept. 25 were delivered on Sept. 26, some professors sending email communications on Sept. 26 immediately received a bounce back message stating the email was unable to be delivered. 

Many of Baruch’s resources and departments will also remain virtual until further notice.

The Student Health Center will remain open. Students can schedule an appointment by calling 646-312-2040.

The virtual BOSS while be open tomorrow, Sept. 27, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and can be reached at https://baruch.zoom.us/j/6463124576#success

Baruch’s Counseling Center is also open virtually from 9a.m. to 5 p.m. tomorrow, Sept. 27. All sessions will be conducted remotely. Please contact counseling@baruch.cuny.edu if you have any questions or need support.

Baruch has not yet announced whether remote learning will continue beyond Sept. 27.