Baruch ranked No. 19 by Forbes for low tuition costs

Jumaane Millette

On Aug. 29, Forbes, a global media company that provides news on various topics, released a

list on their official website ranking 25 colleges worth out-of-pocket pay for tuition.

Paying out-of-pocket for your college degree is a big financial investment, and student debt is

an expense that many tend to consider when deciding which college they want to attend.

That is why students value maximizing their college experience by choosing a college that aligns with their goals but will also earn back the costs of their degrees.

Forbes lists 25 colleges reported to be a worthy investment for contributing to a degree based on

out-of-pocket funds and students’ post-net earnings after college.

“Eight public schools in the City University of New York system make this list, offering students degrees that will net them a post-graduate earnings boost over their peers with high school diplomas for little, if any, student debt.” Emma Whitford writes in the Forbes article.

Baruch College is ranked No. 19.

According to the list, Third Way, the company measuring the unique attributes that students earn back by the out-of-pocket cost of their degrees,takes into account the post-graduate earnings of students as well as earnings without college degrees in relation to time and price. The Third Way also looks at college students who do not have student debt and are able to see how long the graduates take to pay out their average out-of-pocket expenses. 

Nevertheless, according to Third Way’s metrics, Baruch is ranked No. 19 out of all the colleges on the list. Other CUNY colleges ranked below and above are said to provide systems that let students earn back from their degree out-of-pocket, in the shortest amount of time. 

Baruch is ranked that way because it offers majors in 29 subjects with a median of  $11,512 in student loans. According to the metrics, Baruch graduates earn a median salary of  $68,800 six years later meaning Baruch offers graduates a small time frame to pay out the total cost of the degree. 

This is also why Forbes lists Lehman College higher, one of the eight CUNY colleges ranked. The college offers more majors, and students who borrow take on a median of about $10,950 in debt, less than Baruch and other CUNY colleges like Brooklyn and John Jay ranked lower in the list.

“CUNY has always prioritized its primary mission of providing equal education for all, and the Forbes list proves they are succeeding in their mission. “CUNY colleges are uniquely equipped to provide an affordable, academically rigorous education that prepares students for the successful outcomes they seek. We take seriously our role to represent and serve New York City and its diverse population, and this ranking is a reminder of the extraordinary impact of this University’s guiding mission” CUNY Chancellor Félix Matos Rodríguez said.