Baruch Alumni Ruschell Boone passes away from Cancer

fringer+cat+%7C+pexels+
fringer cat | pexels

Spectrum News announced that Emmy Award-winning journalist Ruschell Boone died Sept. 3 due to pancreatic cancer complications. She was 48 years old at the time of her passing.

Spectrum News referred to Boone as a friend in their letter that was posted on their website.

Boone was born and raised in Jamaica and later moved to New York City at the age of 11. She graduated from Baruch College as a student of the Zicklin School of Business with a BBA in Accounting, according to her LinkedIn profile

Baruch College Alumni’s Instagram page released a statement on news of Boone’s passing, expressing their condolences.

“Sad news today about Ruschell Boone (‘99), a Baruch alumna that many of you know from @ny1,” the post read. “Ruschell spoke on campus a handful of times over the years and developed her passion for broadcasting at Baruch. Our thoughts are with her family and friends.”

The Pancreatic Cancer Action Network, a non-profit organization dedicated to funding research and providing patient/caregiver resources to families, released a statement on Boone’s passing.

“We are heartbroken by the loss of Ruschell Boone, @NY1 Anchor and dear member of our PanCAN community, to #pancreaticcancer,” the nonprofit wrote on X, formerly Twitter.

“Ruschell bravely shared her story and provided hope and inspiration to so many touched by pancreatic cancer,” they continued in the post. “We fondly remember the warmth, joy, and light she brought to #PanCANPurpleStride New York City as our emcee on an otherwise cold, rainy day. We’re forever grateful to Ruschell for raising public awareness of the disease, and we send our deepest condolences to her family and loved ones.

Boone’s journalism career spans nearly two decades. She began her career at Spectrum News in 2002, covering news in Queens, New York. 

Spectrum News stated that she was the type of journalist who “embedded” herself in the area, tackling stories that affected residents directly.

Boone spent nearly two decades as a reporter until she became a news anchor in 2021 on NY1’s noon newscast “News All Day”. Prior to being a Spectrum News Anchor, she hosted “New York Unfiltered,” an Emmy-awarding winning series and was a General Assignment Reporter.

Boone’s past journalistic coverage included significant stories such as Superstorm Sandy and the 2020 summer protest following the death of George Floyd. Boone made history as the first and only television reporter to deliver the news of then Candidate Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez electoral victory, Spectrum News stated on their website.

She also covered stories involving New York City’s arts scene including Brooklyn’s West Indian American Day Parade and the Times Square New Year’s Eve ball drop. 

Boone recently celebrated 20 years at Spectrum before receiving the news of her cancer diagnosis

Boone learned of her cancer diagnosis in June 2022, according to a report from TODAY. She took a leave of absence from Spectrum News from June 2022 to March 2023 for a series of chemotherapy treatments.

She regularly updated her social media followers on her cancer journey. In her previous Instagram post, she addressed her illness, saying she had only two rounds of treatment left.

She announced on X, that her cancer had worsened in July 2023.

Unfortunately, my cancer has metastasized in my liver, and I’m back in treatment,” Boone said on X. “It’s rough, but the chemo is working.”

Boone’s legacy continues through her husband Todd Boone, whom she met at Spectrum News, and their two sons. He posts updates about Spectrum News and his personal life on his Instagram @toddboone73.