CUNY TV Receives 18 New York Emmy Nominations

Nafisa Hasan
CUNY TV Emmys

The City University of New York’s cable television channel, CUNY TV, has received a total of 18 nominations for the 2023 New York Emmy Awards.

The awards are hosted by the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, and this will be the 66th anniversary of the New York Emmy Awards.

This year’s New York Emmys winners will be announced at the New York Mariott Marquis on Oct. 28.

Of its 18 nominations, CUNY TV received the most nominations for its hit show “Nueva York, ” hosted by Carmen Boullosa. Each episode displays the array of Latino cultures throughout New York City.

The network also received three nominations for “I Am a Dreamer”, which follows the life of undocumented immigrants and the struggles they face in the city. CUNY TV also earned 2 nominations for “Arts In The City”, which posts monthly episodes exploring the New York art scene.

Alongside these nominations, CUNY TV also acquired nominations for its shows “LATiNAS,” “Urban U,” “Black America,” “Shades of U.S.” and “Simply Science.” Each of the shows received one nomination.

Hunter College also received two nominations through their Center for Puerto Rican Studies, or CENTRO, for its docuseries, “Puerto Rican Voices which aired on CUNY TV.

The docuseries discusses colonialism in Puerto Rico and the island’s state after Hurricane María in late 2017. The series is divided into five sections and discusses issues such as “the energy crisis, pollution, displacement and economic precarity, resulting from a decade-long recession, and the aftershocks of Hurricane María,” according to the show’s description.

Such a success with nominations is not new for CUNY TV. The station operates 24 hours a day and has been around since its establishment in 1985. Since then, it has received a total of 178 Emmy nominations, 35 of which it has won.

Last year, CUNY TV set its own record at the 2022 New York Emmy Awards, where it was nominated for a total of 19 nominations. They won , specifically for the programs “I Am a Dreamer”, “Urban U” and “Nueva York”.  With these shows being nominated for the 2023 Emmys as well, it is possible that CUNY TV will win the majority of its nominations.

The critical acclaim and acknowledgement of diverse programming solidifies CUNY TV’s mission, which is to “connect and uplift the diverse experiences of New York communities through relevant and meaningful stories and offer lifelong learning opportunities to all New Yorkers.” As a part of this mission, CUNY TV is not only for CUNY students but for all New Yorkers, as the station reaches a total of 7.3 million households in the New York metropolitan area.

The station also provides a wide variety of programming, including but not limited to documentaries, magazine shows, faculty lectures, podcasts and student films.

As a result, CUNY TV also provides an outlet for students to display their works to a large audience. The station airs from the CUNY Graduate Center and currently has a total of 28 shows.

With numerous nominations rolling in, CUNY TV staff and CUNY faculty were not shy about voicing their happiness.

“We congratulate CUNY TV on this much-deserved recognition of the work that the station’s staff does each and every day,” CUNY Vice Chancellor for Communications and Marketing Maite Junco said.

CUNY TV Interim Executive Director Chiqui Cartagena added that CUNY TV is “honored and humbled to receive so many nominations for excellence in television from our peers in New York.”

With its success at 2022’s awards ceremony, there appears to be a bright future for CUNY TV at this year’s New York Emmys.