Baruch’s athletics continue to stand out within CUNYAC

Denis Gostev | Baruch Athletics
Denis Gostev | Baruch Athletics

On Sept. 17, the Baruch College Bearcats women’s tennis team faced off against the SUNY Purchase Panthers, winning by a comfortable score of 7-2. 

The Bearcats were able to sweep all three doubles matchups in addition to winning four of six singles matchups. Hailey Feuer, the reigning CUNYAC Player of the Week, continued her streak of near invincibility losing only one game in both of her singles matchups — 6-0 and 6-1. She then teamed up with captain Lejla Redzematovic for an impressive 8-5 win in her doubles matchup. 

She was not the lone star either, as Regina Kelley, the reigning CUNYAC Rookie of the Week, won her singles matchup and also recording a convincing 6-0 shutout. She paired with teammate Victoria Kisling to win their doubles matchup 8-1.

On Sept. 21, the Bearcats extended their winning streak to three straight matches as they easily disposed of the Lehman College Lightning on the road by a near flawless 8-1 score line.

The team swept all of their doubles matchups, while Feuer refused to lose a single game in her two singles matchups, sweeping both matches by a score of 6-0.

On Sept. 24, the near impossible happened. The Bearcats bested themselves against the Brooklyn College Bulldogs in a flawless 9-0 shutout at home. With the win, the Bearcats improved to a 2-0 record in the CUNYAC tournament.

Feuer and Redzematovic controlled their matchup and dominating in a 8-1 doubles win. Natalie Ibelhaupt and Kaitlyn Rivera swept their doubles matchup, 9-0. Redzematovic also swept her singles matchups, winning 12 straight games. Regina Avrutis and Ibelhaupt did the same.

The Bearcats look to make it four straight wins when they travel to face the College of Staten Island Dolphins.

On Sept. 18, the men’s soccer Bearcats lost a tight matchup against the Vassar College Brewers in Poughkeepsie, New York. The game was decided by a late 89th minute penalty.

Despite an early goal from midfielder Shaiem Allah Morad, the Bearcats were only able to muster one shot on goal the entire match. However, goalkeeper Kellen Sela did his best to keep his squad in the match, as he recorded three saves throughout the evening. The two goals he allowed were not entirely his fault, as the first goal was deflected off a Bearcats defender and the second was an extremely difficult save from the penalty spot.

In the next matchup, the Bearcats played the John Jay Bloodhounds and won by an incredible score line of 4-0.

Morad added two goals for the Bearcats while Austin Tucker assisted twice. The Bearcats took advantage of the Bloodhounds’ many errors in the first half, recording three goals.

Adonis Martinez recorded another assist, cementing his place on the team as a solid attacking midfielder this season. Despite 15 shots, five of them on goal for the Bloodhounds, Sela recorded another clean-sheet, his second this season.

On Sept. 19, the women’s volleyball team played the Manhattanville College Valiants and were swept by a score of 3 sets to 0. Captain Stella Chung’s nine kills, Anita Sengara’s 11 kills and Sanaa Hadjeb’s 20 assists were not nearly enough.

However, the Bearcats flipped their fortunes around in their next matchup, sweeping the Bard College Raptors by a score of 3 sets to 0. The Bearcats totaled 32 kills as a team, with Sengara contributing 12 kills. Claudia Moi assisted her teammates on 19 points and Yijia Cai dug out the volleyball an amazing 10 times.