Four underrated NBA Summer League players to watch

All-Pro Reels | Wikimedia Commons

The 2024 NBA Summer League has given young players a chance to showcase their basketball skills. Four of these players have stood out:

1. Hunter Tyson, Denver Nuggets

Hunter Tyson is a 6’8” small forward drafted 37th overall by the Oklahoma City Thunder and traded to the Denver Nuggets. It’s safe to say that trade worked wonders for the Nuggets.

Tyson averaged 21.7 points on 58% shooting and 51% from three-point range, six rebounds and two assists in five games. He also managed to record 31 points on seven three-point makes in Friday’s matchup against the Miami Heat: He’s a versatile player who can provide an offensive lift.

After signing a four-year, $7.7M contract with the Nuggets, Tyson is ready to prove his worth.

2. Toumani Camara, Phoenix Suns

Toumani Camara is a 6’8” small forward who was drafted with the 52nd overall pick by the Phoenix Suns, and while he’s only a rookie, he has proved his worth so far.

During his Summer League action, Camara averaged 16.2 points on 46.5% and seven rebounds. He rarely shoots three-point shots, but he’s an intelligent passer who exceeds at getting open looks from inside the arc.

Camara created a notable presence for himself and could potentially emerge as one of the league’s most efficient wing players.

3. QJ Peterson, New York Knicks

QJ Peterson went undrafted back in the 2017 NBA Draft and formerly played in the Chinese Basketball Association. He had a chance to prove himself in the Summer League, and he did.

In four games, Peterson averaged 12 points, 2.5 assists, and 1.3 steals. Primarily known for his skilled play on offense, Peterson was able to create space on his long-distance shots. In the Knicks’ final Summer League game, Peterson tallied 25 points on 8-of-17 shooting.

If there’s someone the Knicks should add, it would be in their interest to give Peterson a chance. Jalen Brunson needs help managing the scoring load, and Peterson would be great coming off the bench to take his place.

4. Trevor Keels, New York Knicks

Trevor Keels has a lot of potential as a young player. Drafted in 2022, he is on a two-way contract, meaning he alternates between the G-League and the regular NBA Knicks teams. He needed to have an excellent campaign to land a permanent spot on the Knicks’ roster.

He had a good showing in the NBA Summer League, where he played in five games and averaged 10.8 points on 41.5 percent shooting, including one 20-point performance where he shot 70 percent from the field. He has good on-court awareness, recognizing when he has enough space to shoot the ball.

He still has a lot of work to do, but he’s gradually improving and that’s always a good sign.