Egg schools celebs on nature of virality

Photo courtesy of ABC13 Houston

Kylie Jenner’s photo with her newborn baby Stormi Webster was considered one of the most heartwarming photos on the internet. Jenner’s post on Instagram of her daughter pulled in 18 million likes, earning the title of the most liked Instagram photo of all time. According to Forbes, Jenner is one of the youngest to become one of its members to reach $1 billion in net worth at the age of 21. Jenner may be considered one of the up and coming socialites of this decade because of her spotlight on the show Keeping up With the Kardashians and the dropping of her own makeup line. Her Instagram photos receive at least a million likes per post and she has garnered the reputation of being the “it” girl of social media . However, Jenner’s ’s photo of Stormi is no longer the most liked photo on Instagram. A viral egg now has over 50 million likes, prompting the world to question the significance and importance of such a random post, and more importantly, why Jenner lost her Instagram crown to an egg.

Celebrities have a following which turns into sponsorships and the development of their own products. This is what makes them have a constant source of funding and popularity. Many may say the true fame of Jenner is due to her sisters’ network and her tyrant mother’s great management and marketing skills. When looking at social media, most are looking for content. Such is shown when Kylie’s father Bruce Jenner transitioned to Caitlyn Jenner and Kim Kardashian’s advertisement was edited with a picture of a horse’s body into it. This is a marketing technique in which any publicity is good, even if it seems bad. The constant discussion of these “models” and families give them an identity where they sell, whether it is their makeup products or likes on Instagram. Despite the fact that no one should really care about them, social media is an undeniable addiction.

Many people don’t realize that they check their phones at least 80 times a day, according to The New York Post, to just scroll through their feed on Snapchat, Facebook or Instagram without reason. It allows their brains to run on a constant cycle. That it where celebrities realize they need to consistently post on an every day basis to feed their “fans.” This then creates a greater addiction, prompting celebrities to post more and for fans to want more. While most fans on social media want to feel as if they are cared for by a celebrity, a celebrity may only care about promoting the newest products in order to build their brand. In reality, however, Kylie is an average wealthy young adult who found her path by growing her fame and fortune that has followed her from a young age. We should respect her journey to growth, but everyone’s business should be kept to themselves instead of being exposed on social media.

Marketing schemes and our youth’s constant need to check their phones could explain the egg’s sudden rise to popularity. The egg is nothing more than a marketing scheme that was popularized through Reddit and Twitter, according to The Independent. In simple terminology, it was a joke which everyone fed into and thought it would be funny. However, the creator of the post, Ishan Goel, didn’t have a true reason in posting the photo, but experimented with society’s reason in liking Instagram photos of celebrities. Goel told India Today, “People can [rally] around the thrill of outdoing a celebrity. It makes the world seem less intimidating, more light-hearted, and more accessible.” The viral egg post did its job in proving that celebrities are not as important as society makes them out to be.