Baruch alum appreciates skills gained in college

Baruch College alum Abhishek Somani, who majored in finance and minored in psychology, spoke to The Ticker about his experience at Baruch and how it has helped him in his career.

Somani has always been keenly interested in the field of business. The diverse nature of Baruch and the affordable tuition rates compared to other colleges made Somani choose to be a Bearcat. 

“In an environment of competition is where innovations happen I believe,” he said about the competitive environment of Zicklin.  And as someone who always valued returns of investments, he said “in terms of financing my education, the tuition compared to any private university was far less.” Therefore, Baruch seemed to be the perfect fit for him.

Somani interned at a firm at Wall Street which he believes gave him the exposure and skills required in his career after college. He recommends that students should focus on networking and trying out multiple internships during college. 

As far as internships are concerned, Somani stressed on taking internships one can learn as much as possible. 

He also added that while hiring interns himself, he always looks at the candidate’s willingness to learn.

Since his graduation in 2013, Somani has been involved in real estate. 

His experience at Baruch has helped him extensively in dealing with people in the business world. Somani explained that his time in Baruch prepared him to handle all kinds of thoughts and expectations that people in the real estate world have, in addition to being proactive, goal oriented and focused.

Somani had surpassed milestones that he set for himself when he started working in real estate.  

According to an interview with The Ticker, he said that he had sold 50,000 square feet of real estate in the city of Mumbai. 

“My next milestone is to reach 100,000 square feet by end of 2021,” he added.

Recently, Somani started to look into trading equities. “I have always been passionate about the stock markets,” he said. He has a target to turn $1,000 into $10,000 by using technical analysis skills acquired from his education at Baruch.

Somani said that he believes quality education can shape lives differently and the value of education stretches even beyond countries.  

He still continues to read books on real estate and investments by different Baruch professors. Somani is also looking to take time out from his busy work schedule, and come back Baruch for graduate school at some point.

He motivates and encourages students in India to go to college and continue their education. 

Somani summed up his experience at Baruch saying, “I have no doubts that education will continue to help me shape my future, and that of people around me, for the better.”