Hard work pays off: Lexington Music chartered an official club in December

Courtesy of Lexington Music Facebook

Feba George, a sophomore majoring in public affairs and the founder and president of Lexington Music, said that the organization needed to undergo multiple processes that were constantly delayed due to differences in student availability. 

“We want to help people learn how to play instruments,” she said. “We invite singers, songwriters, composers, people who are into production — the whole scheme of music.” 

The chartering process consisted of holding two presentations to USG, updating the myBaruch database, making the club’s constitution, finding and appointing members to the club’s executive board and planning a general interest meeting and a co-sponsored event. Nonetheless, George, a singer, guitarist and flutist, said the complex journey was worth the hassle. 

Students of all creative backgrounds, including sound engineers, are welcome to join the band-oriented organization, which currently has 20 members. 

Unlike the Baruch Blue Notes, an a cappella-only group, students who wish to join Lexington Music are not required to audition.

“We’re like the fun cousin,” said Sam Abrole, a finance senior and vice president of Lexington Music. Abrole specializes in singing and piano playing. She suggested that beginners who strive to achieve the professionalism of a Blue Notes’ singer can practice their music skills with Lexington Music first and audition for the other organization later on. Novice or not, members of Lexington Music hone their craft to perform at various campus events.

Peter Kim, a marketing senior and general member of Lexington Music, said he performed in front of 2,000 people on Convocation Day, which is an orientation day when first-year Baruch students come in to learn about Baruch College. “It’s so gratifying and fulfilling to make a connection with a lot of people at once,” Kim said. He is a singer who also plays the guitar, drums and piano. 

A full set of violinists, pianists, singers and a bassist from Lexington Music also practiced a few times together before playing at Baruch in Concert, an event hosted by a music professor that had a collection of musicians play at the Engelman Recital Hall. 

“While we may not have sounded perfectly crisp, we still had a fun time,” Kim told The Ticker

He added that he appreciates Lexington Music so much that he voluntarily delayed graduation for an additional semester to fully participate in the group. “My dream is to be a singer. Marketing is a side thing, but music is the passion,” Kim said. 

Students who aren’t as musically ambitious as Kim, however, can still join Lexington Music because the multi-functional club provides a role for anyone who is interested, according to Abrole.

Students can choose to embrace their inner artist by becoming a lead singer or instrumentalist, or play and sing backup if they prefer to stay out of the spotlight. Lexington Music also has its doors open for students who just want to listen to music, hang out, de-stress and form new friendships. 

Editor’s Note: Feba George, the president of Lexington Music who was quoted in this article, is  Ticker senior staff writer.