Bearcats party like it’s 1999 during fifth annual Lip Sync Battle

Feba George | The TickerBaruch College’s Undergraduate Student Government held one of its most popular annual events: “Lip Sync Battle.” Clubs that competed chose songs that corresponded with this year’s theme of the 1990s.

Students competed at Baruch College’s annual “Lip Sync Battle” on Nov. 22 for a chance to win a $500 co-sponsorship prize from the Undergraduate Student Government. The theme this year was a 90’s revival where students rocked overalls, baggy pants and neon colored sweatshirts and jackets. Students lip synced to songs by Michael Jackson, Britney Spears and Aaliyah, all hoping to snag the prize money and a trophy. 

“Our Lip Sync event is an opportunity to reach out to our Baruch clubs and get people more involved,” USG’s Rep. Sen., and event host, Basil Harding explained. 

Club interaction is the common goal among events like these.

Students lined up for a catered dinner and drinks before hitting the dance floor. 

Lasagna, vegetables, pastas and salads were served among other food. 

“Student government must have put a lot of money into this event because the food was great and the performances have been good so far. Plus, events like these are a good way to network,” junior attendee, Carl Robertson said. 

USG had been preparing a month in advance for this night. 

“It’s our tradition to bring students together for a night of fun, our school is not just a commuter school, it’s an environment we could all feel free to enjoy,” student government member and host Tony Chang said.

Overall, students competed with great enthusiasm and coordination. The International Student Organization won third place. Their incredibly fast on-stage wardrobe changes impressed the judges and crowd. 

After ISO group members accepted their trophy and thanked the crowd, the Pre-Recorded Friday Night’s club second place victory was announced. 

Finally, the first-place trophy was awarded to Baruch’s F.U.S.I.O.N. club for the second year in a row. Freshman Vicki Xiao, a member of
F.U.S.I.O.N., imitated Michael Jackson in a well-rehearsed  dance routine. 

“It took us three and a half days of practicing, but we found a lot of time,” she said. 

Xiao also explained that some of the students in Baruch’s F.U.S.I.O.N. club are also apart of CONfusion, one of Baruch’s dance clubs. 

“A majority of us come from dancing backgrounds, we’ve performed in Filipino culture dance competitions. So, in that way, members have either danced competitively outside of school or in high school,” she said. 

“Everyone is super talented. I loved the event it was so much fun and I’m happy Baruch holds events like these it really
brings everyone together. I was honestly surprised at the involvement of the audience,” attendee Elina Niyazov said, adding she was
surprised by the performances.

In the end students regardless of affiliation helped clean up to wrap up the night. 

An overall sense of community united students together along with anticipation for next year’s “Lip Sync Battle.”