Faye Webster weaves breakup anthems with lighthearted fun on new LP

Screenshot from Lego Ring music video – Secretly Canadian

Drawing inspiration from her spontaneous visits to the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and desire for a temporary escape, Faye Webster explores a mix of whimsicality, eccentricity and wistfulness in her fifth studio album “Underdressed at the Symphony,” produced in collaboration with Drew Vandenberg.

Released on March 1, the album features ten songs, including previously released singles such as “But Not Kiss, “Lifetime,” “Lego Ring” and “Feeling Good Today.”

Webster introduces the album with the almost seven-minute “Thinking About You.” With a similar feeling of longing exhibited in her song “What Used To Be Mine,” “Thinking About You” uncovers the singer-songwriter’s yearning and intense romantic desire through her reiteration of the simple phrase “I’m thinking about, thinking about you,” that goes on for the track’s last four minutes.

Her use of lyrical repetition to conclude her songs is present throughout tracks such as “Lifetime” and “Tttttime.”  

In “Lifetime,” Webster continuously sings “In a lifetime,” which accentuates the song’s heartfelt confession of love, followed by lyrics such as “can’t imagine me before you.”

The album’s closing track, “Tttttime,” follows a similar approach with the recurring mention of time, where Webster stutters to reflect the song title. She states she has all this time to indulge in mundane routines such as getting lost in a song, going on a walk, and calling her mom.

Despite continuing similar approaches and motifs, “Underdressed at the Symphony” provides a distinct sound that remains cohesive with the album and Webster’s discography.

In a press release from her label Secretly Canadian, Webster said she had reached a point in her creative process where she had said a lot, which prompted her realization that her lyrics don’t always have to be profound. 

“I can just sit down and sing about this ring made of crystal Lego that I really want,” she said.

Webster taps into this luxury and experiments with her childhood friend Lil Yachty on “Lego Ring.” The duo combines their musical styles in “Lego Ring,” with Webster’s vibrant guitar and melodic vocals, followed by Yachty’s autotuned verses and lively drums. The two create a song that is uniquely odd in both its lyrics and production. 

Webster keeps this whimsical autotune on “Feeling Good Today,” her favorite track off the record. While the song’s autotune was not its most vital attribute, it’s impossible to overlook the comforting simplicity of its lyrics. Webster sings about the charming aspects of life, like eating before noon, getting paid and being able to buy something dumb, elements that contribute to her “feeling good today.”

“He Loves Me Yeah!” mirrors this uplifting tone by encapsulating the harmonious early stages of love, where a pairing’s connection seems ideal as Webster sings, “I think we’re perfect yeah.” She goes on to explain the acts of service her lover does to show his love, singing, “he pumps the gas so that I don’t get out,” and “we take a walk and then he brushes my hair.” 

The album’s title track depicts the opposite spectrum of a relationship: the aftermath, encompassing raw emotion and vulnerability. “I’m deprivin’ myself of happiness,” Webster croons. “Cryin’ to songs that you put me on.” The lyrics reflect the song’s underlying sadness with a pensive melody and orchestral instrumentals.

From start to finish, Webster has curated a collection of songs that not only expand the melancholic and reflective style commonly recognized in her discography but also venture into new and experimental music exploration.