$1B donation from rich widow allows Bronx medical school to go tuition free 

Zaki Azam

A former professor at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine has single-handedly made it possible for students to pursue a medical school education tuition-free because of her sizable donation of $1 billion. 

Dr. Ruth Gottesman says her reasoning for donating was, “We have terrific medical students, but this will open it up for many other students whose economic status is such that they wouldn’t even think about going to medical school.” A no-tuition school in New York City’s poorest borough is a huge milestone. She also stated that another reason was she wanted aspiring doctors to begin their careers without debt weighing them down, which can exceed $200,000. 

The Albert Einstein College of Medicine’s tuition was formerly more than $59,000 a year, which can cost students more than $236,000 after completing four years. That is not accounting for housing, food and other costs. 

This huge donation was made possible because of the fortune Dr. Gottesman inherited from her late husband David Gottesman, a financier and early investor of Warren Buffet’s conglomerate Berkshire Hathaway. Dr. Gottesman is not only a former professor but the chairwoman of the school’s board of trustees. She and her late husband have been long-time supporters and donors of the medical school. 

The Bronx has a majority Hispanic and Black population, 56.6% and 44.3% respectively. The school itself has 48% majority white students compared to the 5% Black and 11% Hispanic populations. This donation could help create a change in these numbers, making the school more diverse. 

Donations to schools are not a new practice; many have given substantial donations. 

Michael Bloomberg donated $1.8 billion to John Hopkins University, a top medical school, in 2018 for student aid. 

However, for one to donate such an immense amount of money to a school that is not as widely known and in the Bronx is practically unheard of. 

Regarding students currently attending the school, a statement was released that fourth-year students will receive a refund for the spring 2024 semester. However, not much was said for other years receiving refunds for the spring semester. Moving forward, the school will be tuition-free, as promised, starting in August. 

The Albert Einstein College of Medicine prides itself on its initiative to “reduce and eliminate ethnic and racial health disparities.” It is one of four sites part of a large- scale study of the health status of Hispanic/Latino populations in the community. The NIH supports the study.