Club showcase improved but lacks communication

Tamara Catania

Instead of hosting all the clubs simultaneously, this spring’s club showcase separated Baruch College’s 100 and more student organizations into four days. Although the club showcase is an improvement from last year’s club fair, The Baruch Office of Student Life and Undergraduate Student Government should create and publicize comprehensive glossaries to maximize student outreach.

The 2023 Fall Club Fair was hosted in the NVC Main Gym and included almost every student organization registered. The appeal was that a single day dedicated to a club fair allowed students to discover as many clubs as they wanted to, in the most efficient way possible.

However, as fun as it can be to have all the student organizations in one place, the gym quickly became overcrowded and chaotic, hindering many students’ opportunities to learn more about the clubs or speak with club leaders.

By contrast, this spring’s 2024 arrangement allowed for a calmer atmosphere, time to visit multiple stands and opportunities for one-on-one conversations with club leaders. Moreover, as the event was spread over multiple days, students were given the opportunity to choose which day worked best for them, which in turn decreased the number of crowds.

Even though the club showcase was more organized, OSL and USG can make improvements on advertising outside of social media and updating the lists and descriptions of Undergraduate Student Clubs and Organizations to more accurately inform students who wish to get involved.

Social media remains one of the main ways of advertising events to students. However, some students don’t have social media or follow Baruch-related accounts, meaning they are left uninformed.

Seeing as online posts aren’t likely to reach many students, social media isn’t the most efficient way to advertise events such as the club showcase. Instead, OSL and USG should communicate the club showcase schedule and glossary through student emails, a platform all Baruch students have access to.

Providing an accurate program with clubs’ names, descriptions and points of contact will allow all students to have a reference to all clubs they might be interested in and someone to contact in case they are unable to attend the showcase. In turn, this will allow more students to get involved and brighten Baruch’s student life.