Check out USG’s ‘spooktacular’ events

Marcus Cooper | Atlantic Records Press

There are about two months left in 2019. How will you be spending the last few weeks of this year? The Baruch College Undergraduate Student Government is spending those weeks planning more events to not only keep up not only our school spirit, but also our spooky one. As we head for 30-degree weather, scary costume planning and seemingly never-ending rain showers, we planned for other things students can look forward to this week!

You can look forward to events from our Vice President of Student Affairs Tony Chen, starting Oct. 29 to Oct. 31. 

In order to cater to different interests within our approximately 15,000 Bearcat population, we have events and activities planned just for you. 

Come by and see USG on the 2nd floor lobby on Oct. 29 from 5 to 5:30 p.m. for giveaways and  on Oct. 30 during club hours for Scream Puffs.

Also visit us in the Multipurpose Room on Oct. 31 from 6 to 9 p.m. as we celebrate Halloween with G.L.A.S.S. in costume and contests!

We also have our new Boo-ruch Halloween Art Contest. We’re accepting submissions until Halloween Day at 5 p.m. Students can enter individually or on behalf of a club for a chance to win a Bose Soundlink Micro or $300 in co-sponsorship money from USG. 

The artwork must include the Baruch Bearcat and the letters “USG” with a Halloween theme. Winners are announced through our Facebook and Instagram platform and will receive an email confirmation to redeem their prize. Submissions can be sent to bit.ly/booruchartcontest2019.

If spooky season isn’t your holiday, we have other exciting news you might like to hear. As we go through our days at this college witnessing the construction and works in progress, Baruch will be welcoming a new addition to its infrastructure. 

The student center is on track to open in time for the spring semester. Students will be able to access additional space to study, sleep or just sit in silence. Whatever floats their boat. In addition, the plaza is also set to finish around the end of spring 2020. While it may not seem like much now, we’re excited to say it will be a beautiful space for students to have a bit of tranquility in the concrete jungle of New York. 

President Mitchell Wallerstein likes to say, “Try to find a piece of grass anywhere on campus.” With the plaza done, you can study outside underneath the shade of a tree without having to walk all the way to the overcrowded Madison Square Park. Keep your chin up, Bearcats; midterms might have hit us hard this year, but we’re almost at the finish line and there’s so much to look forward to. 

Dakshatha Daggala is the president of USG. She can be reached at dakshatha.daggala@usgbaruch.com. Her office is located at 3-272 in the Newman Vertical Campus.