2023 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame ceremony introduces eclectic class of inductees 

Eric Friedebach | Flickr

The 38th Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony occurred on Nov. 3 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn. The star-studded evening introduced a new class of artists into the Hall of Fame. The night celebrated the ever-changing sound of popular music and honored the various artists who innovated the industry. 

For the performer category, the 2023 inductees included Kate Bush, Sheryl Crow, Missy Elliott, George Michael, Willie Nelson, Rage Against the Machine, and The Spinners. The Musical Influence Award was presented to DJ Kool Herc and Link Wray. Chaka Khan, Al Kooper and Bernie Taupin were awarded the Musical Excellence Award. Lastly, inductee Don Cornelius was presented with the Ahmet Ertegun Award, which is awarded to impactful non-performing music professionals.  

This year’s special ceremony was memorable for a variety of reasons. The day marked two major celebrations in music culture: It coincided with the 90th birthday of inductee Willie Nelson and celebrated the 50th anniversary of the birth of Hip-Hop.

For the first time, the ceremony was broadcast live on Disney+, which is still available on-demand. 

The night opened with a performance by inductee Sheryl Crow, joined by Olivia Rodrigo in a rendition of “If It Makes You Happy.” Crow later returned to sing “Strong Enough” alongside fellow Hall of Famer Stevie Nicks. The duo was soon joined by Peter Frampton, one of Crow’s idols, and rocked out to “Everyday is a Winding Road.” 

The ceremony continued with three performances by Nelson with Chris Stapleton, Sheryl Crow and Dave Matthews. Nelson also became the oldest inductee to accept the honor in person. 

The night was filled with tremendous displays of talent featuring performances from various artists.

The celebration highlighted the diversity that John Sykes, Chairman of the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Foundation, stressed in a press release. “This year’s incredible group of Inductees reflects the diverse artists and sounds that define rock & roll,” he said. 

To be eligible for induction into the Hall of Fame, artists must have released their first record at least 25 years prior to consideration. Out of the seven performer inductees this year, four were marked on the ballot for the first time. 

A performance was dedicated to George Michael, an inductee who passed away in 2016. Miguel performed “Careless Whisper,” and Adam Levine sang a cover of “Faith.” 

The homage ended with Carrie Underwood delivering a powerful rendition of Michaels’ “One More Try,” channeling the hurt and yearning present in the original. 

Before the performance, Michael’s Wham! bandmate Andrew Ridgeley delivered a heartfelt speech in his honor. 

The night ended with Missy Elliot making history as the first female rapper inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. She ignited the stage with a medley of her hip-hop hits, including“Get Ur Freak On,” “Work It” and “Lose Control.” 

The 2023 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame’s electric ceremony featured a diverse mix of inductees and performers. The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame allows artists who have stood the test of time to be celebrated in a grand fashion and set a great foundation for a new generation of musicians.