Sufjan Stevens dedicates new album ‘Javelin’ to his late partner

Tammy Lo | Flickr

“Javelin” by singer-songwriter Sufjan Stevens was released on Oct. 6 and features 10 indie-folk tracks. The album follows the feelings surrounding the loss of a loved one based on Stevens’ personal experiences with grief.

Stevens explained the album’s inspiration in a heartfelt Instagram post. He wrote that the album is “dedicated to the light of my life, my beloved partner and best friend Evans Richardson, who passed away in April. He was an absolute gem of a person, full of life, love, laughter, curiosity, integrity, and joy.”

The 48-year-old artist is known for his lyricism and the way he captures heavy emotions in his music. Stevens is no stranger to translating his lived experiences through song. The new “Javelin” describes coping with death over a modern folk instrumental–similar to his 2015 album “Carrie and Lowell,” dedicated to his late mother.

“Javelin” features collaborators like Nedelle Torrisi, adrienne maree brown, Hannah Cohen and The National guitarist Bryce Dessner, with all songs produced by Stevens through Asthmatic Kitty Records. The album is Stevens’ first solo vocal-centered project following his last solo album, “Convocations,” an alternative instrumental record released in 2021 featuring 49 tracks.

“Javelin (To Have And To Hold)” is the title track that embodies the album. The song shows a deeply rooted anger underlaid by a soft folk track. It ends with the lyric, “it’s a terrible thought to have and hold,” insinuating that Stevens is working towards leaving this anger behind as he moves forward in life.

“Goodbye Evergreen” is the leading track on the album, highlighting what it feels like to say a hard goodbye. Over an intense instrumental break, the lyrics “Goodbye, evergreen, you know I love you” are exchanged, creating a robust foundation for the album.

“A Running Start” exhibits more of Stevens’ classic folk influence. The song paints a picture of the love and pain that Stevens felt for his late partner. He finally accepts his reality by the end of the song. “Don’t go, my lovely pantomime, receive of me my only wish,” he sings.

“Will Anybody Ever Love Me?” focuses on Stevens’ feelings of disarray and loss of direction following a traumatic event. The following songs, “Everything That Rises” and “Genuflecting Ghost,” depict a similar theme, looking inward into Stevens’ journey towards finding strength. These songs have Christian undertones, making direct reference to Jesus and heaven–a common element found in Stevens’ discography.

“My Red Little Fox” and “So You Are Tired” tap more into the longing for intimacy and dealing with its absence. “My Red Little Fox” suggests drinking to combat this loss of deep connection. “So You Are Tired” includes lyrics like “I was the man still in love with you/When I already knew it was done,” which acts as a realization surrounding a partnership.

“Shit Talk” is a nearly 8-minute track painting a portrait of where Stevens’ emotions are leading. With the starting lyric being “no more fighting,” he is working on resolving the anger directed towards the situation.” The lyric “I will always love you, but I cannot live with you” points to a complete acceptance of the loss of someone close to his heart.

The album comes full circle with the concluding track, “There’s A World.” It is probably the happiest song on the album. Stevens uses biblical references to indicate the one he has lost is in a better place. Here, Stevens has faith that this person is safe in the celestial world despite not being together.

Based on these 10 tracks, Stevens touches on the stages of grief in a relatable way while honoring the loss of his late partner. “Javelin” reaches out to those who have ever experienced grief or relationship troubles in a realistic, beautiful and melodic way.