NY Times Ranks Baruch No. three for Socioeconomic Diversity

Wally Gobetz | Flickr
Picasa 2.7
Wally Gobetz | Flickr

Baruch College has earned recognition from The New York Times as the No. 3 institution for socioeconomic diversity among colleges and universities nationwide.

The New York Times measured economic diversity by studying the Pell Grant recipients’ share, which usually goes to students from the bottom half of the income spectrum.

According to the Baruch News Center, Baruch has a reputation for containing the most diverse student population in the nation. Baruch students represent more than 150 countries and speak more than 100 languages.

Baruch College’s mission for socio-economic diversity aligns with the City University of New York system’s overarching mission and long-term goals. It adheres to CUNY’s long-standing tradition of providing accessible, high-quality education to a diverse range of students.

The arrival of the newest ranking from the New York Times coincides with Baruch’s launch of its 2023-2028 “Unstoppable” Strategic Plan, a five-year plan aimed at implementing key initiatives centered on increasing career development students and staff alike as well as closing academic gaps amongst its student body.

According to the data compiled by the New York Times, the median family income of a student from the CUNY campus was estimated at around $49,700. The data found that 24% of the student body originated from the top 20%.

The data concluded that 13% of Baruch students from low-income families became a part of the upper class later in their adult lives.

Baruch College has always prided itself as a higher institution dedicated to its student body.

The diversity at Baruch is further enhanced by its comprehensive academic offerings. The college provides its student body with a robust offering of educational programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels, attracting students with diverse academic interests and career aspirations.

In the campus’ most recent attempt at expanding its academic diversity, Baruch College’s Weissman School of Arts & Science and Zicklin School of Business have partnered up to create the Weismann Concentration Option for students on the road to their BBA degrees.

The New York Times’ recent ranking is not the only one the CUNY four-year campus has to celebrate.

The Wall Street Journal ranked Baruch College at No. 10 in their “2024 Best Colleges” rankings and top 50 overall in areas including No. 1 for best public college in New York, No. 7 for economic mobility and No. 10 for best among public colleges nationwide.

Separately, WSJ also ranked Baruch College at No. 6 for the best college for a career in finance in April 2023. Additionally, in September 2023, The Princeton Review ranked Baruch as the No. 4 “best valued public college.”