Princeton Review ranks Baruch as Best Value Public College

Jim Henderson | Wikimedia Commons

Baruch College has been ranked as the No. 4 “Best valued Public College” by the Princeton Review. Baruch joins four other CUNY campuses including Hunter College, City College, Brooklyn College and Queens College.

CUNY Cha3ncellor Felix Matos V. Rodriguez expressed gratitude for the university’s recent achievement in a released statement.

“We welcome this recognition of the rigor, affordability, accessibility and diversity of our CUNY colleges as we approach the start of a new academic year and the next college application season,” said Rodríguez.

Per the standard of the Princeton Review, schools named “Best Valued College” share common factors including stellar academics, affordability due to tuition cost and financial aid assistance.

Princeton Review surveyed 165,000 students who attended these schools and used their opinions to rank these schools in various categories.

Baruch received recognition as one of the best colleges in the Northeastern region and “Top 20 Best Alumni Network.”

The Princeton Review notes that Baruch is a commuter school, yet the clubs and events that do go on at Baruch are well-received by the student body.

The Ticker reached out to Baruch students for their thoughts to cross-reference The Princeton Review’s data.

Basir Abdul Samad, a sophomore majoring in computer information systems, agreed with Princeton’s assessment of the CUNY campus.

“Overall, it’s been a nice experience with my one year spent because I liked attending events, with big companies such as Barclays & StepUp RGM/Kantar Xtel, as well as all the club events whether it was the MSA, AIS, Phi Eta Sigma and BioMed holding them,” Samad said. “However, [there’s] not a lot of competition because Baruch’s acceptance rate has gone up very high in the last few years. I also think that making friends is still not easy here as it is a commute[r] school like every other CUNY, and I just hope there’s some way that the campus life can be improved…”

The Princeton Review’s College Ranking Methodology explains the process for ranking colleges.

“Our student survey has 85 questions in four sections. We ask students about: 1) their school’s academics/administration, 2) life at their college, 3) their fellow students, and 4) themselves. Students answer by selecting one of five answer choices that range across a grid or scale. The answer choice headers might range from “Strongly Agree” to “Strongly Disagree” or “Excellent” to “Poor”.”

The Princeton Review’s College Ranking Methodology also lists every category, sub-category and the questions that went along with each sub-category.

“The Princeton Review does not rank the schools in the book overall, 1 to 389, hierarchically or in a single list category. The Princeton Review reports the top 25 schools (of the 389 in the book) for each of its 50 different ranking list categories—but does not report ranks beyond the top 25 in any category (i.e., schools ranked 26 to 389).”