Podcast teaches college students how to invest

Joel C. Bautista | The Ticker

“The College Investor Audio Show” is a student-friendly podcast series that sums up the content from their main website, TheCollegeInvestor.com. It is directed toward college students to assist them with their personal financial needs, while discussing popular issues such as student loan debts, side hustles and the best ways to invest as students.

“The College Investor Audio Show” has been around since December 2017, with “almost” daily content, as described in the website. The host Robert Farrington is introduced as a millennial money expert.

The length of the episodes usually varies between five to 10 minutes, making it easy for anyone with time constraints to be able to listen to the whole episode. The content is specifically curated for college students, so the short but effective episodes are definitely worth listening to during a train ride.

Some episodes lack the explanation and solution to certain issues since they are limited to the introduction of concepts or directing listeners to the website.

Even though the podcast’s target audience is students, there are episodes with general personal finance advice that everyone can relate to, like investing in fine art, tax brackets and the best savings accounts for tax refunds.

Some episodes such as “How to Overcome the Fear of Dealing with Student Loans” and “Let’s Talk: Suicide And Student Loan Debt” acknowledge the psychological consequences of a very common concern among college students and graduates, student loans. 

Recognizing the emotional aspect of the student loan crisis is necessary, however, the podcast cannot go beyond giving very little and simple advice on the issue.

The original website the podcast relies on also offers free classes on personal finances, with an Investing 101 course, Get out of Student Debt course and Student Loan Freedom course to name a few.

Overall, “The College Investor Audio Show” does not promise life-changing personal finance advice for college students, but it succeeds in suggesting somewhat  useful strategies for managing a limited amount of money and loan debts.

The podcast is a good option for students who do not have a lot of time to listen to long, complex episodes and will be especially useful to listeners looking for an introduction to or an overview of the best ways to manage personal finances. 

Other episodes that focus on how to apply for student loans or methods of finding grants to pay for college can also help high school students gain more financial information about the new world they are stepping into.