USG Report: Clubs will be receiving a larger budget

Courtesy of Abdullah Mahdi

Hi there Bearcats, I hope all has been well! We are already a few weeks into the semester, so I hope you’ve had some time to get adjusted to your new routines. 

Please  give yourself grace as you take on new challenges brought on by this semester. While college is fast-paced and exciting, it is always important to take a step back when you need to and take care of your mental health.

I’m happy to report some exciting updates from our end. Clubs offer amazing opportunities to socialize with other students, prepare for your career and make a lasting impact on campus. So, it’s always been a focus of mine to support the growth and enrichment of club life as much as possible.

USG recently made an important amendment to one of our internal policies for newly chartered clubs. At our Sept. 5 Senate Meeting, Bricen Fisher, the USG Chair of Finance, proposed to increase the maximum budget allocation so that newly chartered clubs can receive from $500 to $1,500. 

This policy was approved by the USG Senate with a vote of 17-0-0.

We decided to increase the budget so our new club leaders will have more opportunities to host events for the student body, especially with the rise of prices everywhere and growing demand for club life.

Additionally, registered student organizations may receive up to an extra $500 for an event as well as a spotlight on USG’s official social media. 

This is possible because of our Chair of Clubs and Organizations, Amrutha Thirumalesh, and  our Chair of Appeals, Asher Gonzalez. 

Something for students to be excited about is our USG ‘Monetary & Marketing Co-Sponsorship’ and Appeals applications.

We understand that navigating club finances can be tricky, so we are hosting a club finances workshop on Sept. 7 in our USG Conference Room to thoroughly explain our policies to club leaders and answer any questions.

USG is here to support students in our campus clubs. We will look to enhance the experience for the general student population as well as our resilient club leaders. 

We are always exploring new and innovative ways behind the scenes to support the growth of our 100+ clubs and organizations.