USG Report: Events to expect coming into the new semester

Courtesy of Abdullah Mahdi

Hi Bearcats! For the 2023 to 2024 term, I will be serving as your USG Executive Vice President. I am very excited to be writing to you and bringing you all sorts of announcements.

For my new and returning students, we hope you’re excited to see all that Baruch College has to offer this year. It’s our second year being fully back in person and we’ve sure learned a lot of lessons from the previous year.

We have been hard at work during our summers to heartily welcome you back to campus. When we were elected this year, it was one of my priorities to make sure we host events that are catered to your wishes, within reason and feasibility in mind, of course.

We spent the summer surveying the student body using platforms like Reddit and Instagram to see what kinds of upcoming events you would like to see from USG.

Social events that USG has hosted in the past like “Bash” and “Spring Fling” were popular. I was happy to see Bearcats asking for these social events because I understand that it can be tricky to find a space to actively socialize with fellow students. 

Therefore, we will be sure to make that a great focus when we are formulating USG events.

Keep on the lookout for more opportunities via our social media platforms to voice your opinion in that regard!

With all that said, here is the lineup of events USG will be hosting during Welcome Week. Using Baruch students’ feedback, we made sure to propose a series of events that are a combination of information sessions, food giveaways and social sessions. 

Choose your own adventure:

1. Taiyaki Takeover
    Time: 12:30pm
    Location: NVC 2nd Floor Lobby
    Event Details: Come cool off from the summer heat and grab a customized taiyaki ice cream! Taiyaki are fish shaped pastries filled with either custard or red bean topped with refreshing ice cream and cool toppings.
  2. Baruch Night Market

Time: 6:00pm – 8:00pm

Location: NVC 1-107 (Multi-Purpose Room)

Event Details: Courtesy of USG: Experience a traditional Asian night market with music, food, prizes, merchandise and great vibes!

1. Join (US)G

Time: 12:30pm – 2:30pm

Location: NVC 1-107, Multi-Purpose Room

Event Details: Learn more about our incredible organization and how you can get involved and make a grand impact on campus.

1. Boogie Down Baruch

Time: 6:00pm – 8:30pm

Event Details: Dance your first few weeks of school away at Boogie Down Baruch! A night filled with fun dance activities/games, delicious finger food and a chance to win prizes!

These four events are only an introduction to the ton of activities we have planned for the year. By incorporating the culture of Baruch and New York City, we strive to help you get the most out of your college experience.

My team of senators and I are very excited to be your representatives for this year. Please continue to stop by our events and provide your feedback; we are here to listen and take appropriate action. Here’s to a great year!