Ariana Grande, Demi Levato, Idina Menzel allegedly drop music executive Scooter Braun as manager

STEVE JENNINGS
TechCrunch | Wikimedia Commons

Scott Samuel “Scooter” Braun is best known for his involvement in the entertainment and music industry. With a net worth of over $1.1 billion, Braun has established himself as one of the most successful artist managers.

On Aug. 21, it was alleged by Billboard’s sources that Ariana Grande discontinued her work with Braun, after a decade of involvement. Grande has been signed with SB Projects since her debut album Yours Truly in 2013.

Grande unfollowed Braun on Instagram on Aug. 28, fueling the fire further.

Billboard learned about Grande’s departure the same day it received news of Demi Lovato’s departure from Braun as well. Lovato had been signed with Braun since 2019.

Since then, a domino of celebrities have allegedly broken ties with Braun including J Balvin, Idina Menzel and Justin Bieber, the talent that had skyrocketed Braun’s career. A source claimed that Bieber “brought in a new attorney, agency and business manager,” and was preparing to leave Braun’s management.

These claims of Bieber departing from Braun’s management were quickly denied by a number of sources.

Some of his other notable clients include Kanye West, and Psy. SB Projects has been racking up high profile clientele for years.

As of yet, it is still unclear what is occurring with SB Projects and why these celebrities are rumored to be leaving Bruan’s management. The number of speculations are through the roof with sources contradicting one another.

One music industry source told Variety that clients are not leaving Braun but instead, he is stepping down from his management position to pursue his new role as CEO of HYBE America Inc., the South Korean based entertainment label responsible for managing the globally famous K-pop sensation BTS and other well-known talents.

“All of Scooter Braun’s clients are under contract and negotiations have been going on for several months as Scooter steps into his larger role as HYBE America CEO,” the source said.

Braun sold Ithaca Holdings, SB Projects’ parent company, to Hybe America Inc. in 2021 and has been connected since.

Braun jump started his career more than two decades ago in 2002 as a party and event organizer. Since then, he has worked with a number of entertainment companies; such as CBS, Amazon, Netflix, Universal Music Group and Republic Records.

In 2007, Braun founded his talent management and marketing company, SB Projects. He served as a celebrity manager through his company.

He quickly became a prominent industry figure after signing  Bieber in 2008 while Bieber was still a YouTube talent. Braun was only 25 years old when he signed the teen idol.

Braun lightheartedly broke his silence regarding the situation with a post on X.

“Breaking news… I’m no longer managing myself,” Braun posted.

Users on X took it upon themselves to crack jokes about the shift in Braun’s career.

“I’m seated for the downfall of Scooter Braun,” one user posted on X with a photo of a meme.

Celebrities also joined the train and have posted on their social media regarding the rumors. Music producer and singer Jack Antonoff shared a meme on his Instagram story, hinting at his curiosity about the speculations.

Braun has been under fire since 2019 after purchasing Big Machine Records and all of its musical assets, including master rights to Taylor Swift’s first six albums. Both Swifties and the general public became heavily invested in the situation as Swift claimed Braun had bought her masters without her knowledge.

As a result, Swift is in the process of rerecording and releasing these six albums under the title of being “Taylor’s Version.” Rerecording songs after losing the master rights is not the normal procedure in these situations but Swift had a favorable contract which allowed her to do so.

Braun’s character has been controversial since the acquisition of Big Machine Records and his feud with Swift.

Despite Braun’s controversies, his allure lies in his years of experience with many media departments. Many celebrities are drawn to him because of both his high-profile clientele and expertise in areas besides entertainment, such as real estate and technology.

Currently, all details surrounding artists leaving Braun’s management are still up to speculation as sources come forward. The public now awaits announcements from the artists themselves to clear up rumors.