Bloomberg Terminal will be promoted to Baruch students through workshops

Erik Kantar | The Ticker

The first Bloomberg workshop to introduce the Bloomberg Professional Service took place in the Subotnick Center on the trading floor of the Baruch College Library on Sept. 3 from 12:30 PM to 1:45 PM. 

Bloomberg I covered navigation within the Bloomberg system and focused on equity markets and researching public companies. Professor Harold Gee provided details about the possible ways of using the system and the reputable companies who use it.

Throughout the semester, students will be able to learn about the Bloomberg Terminal. 

This is a tool that has revolutionized how financial data is used by many of the big wall street firms, names including Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan Chase & Co. 

Companies continue to seek great talent and competency, and getting a head start on important technical skills might help build a solid foundation.

Given the volatility of markets all over the world and globalization creating increased interdependence and correlation, predicting the next big trend or “beating the market” is becoming an extremely difficult task. 

For professionals working in the finance sector, maintaining great returns for their investors remains challenging. For a regular investor, keeping track of regular business news can be enough. 

Investing is the process of committing money to work for the investor, but with reward comes risk.  

Limited knowledge increases the uncertainty, but decisions backed by data can lead to healthier investments. 

The Bloomberg Terminal is a computer system that allows investors to access the Bloomberg data service. The terminal provides real-time financial data, news feeds, messages and also facilitates the placement of financial transactions. 

Bloomberg charges a monthly fee, with the proprietary computer system beginning around $22,500 annually per user according to Investopedia. 

Therefore, free access for Baruch students is an outstanding opportunity.

Those who manage to sign up for the 75-minute lessons can gain a competitive edge for the careers in the financial sector. 

Currently, there is a Bloomberg Market Concepts course in which students can learn about topics such as economic indicators and equity research. 

All students from different majors can benefit from the opportunity since finance is interrelated to almost all majors and fields of business. 

Whether one is an active investor, portfolio manager, or just preparing for retirement, everyone requires financial literacy in order to make sound financial decisions and have a secure future. 

Throughout this semester, students will be able to attend various workshops to gain understanding and expertise in using this new technology.