Fall 2022 guide to business programs and services at Baruch

Caryl Anne Francia, Business Editor

A new academic year at Baruch College comes with new students finding their footing in the world of business.

To support the transition, The Ticker compiled a list of some resources that students may use to advance their pursuit of careers and ventures. Students may explore these programs and services, which are all accessible on campus, and take advantage of upcoming opportunities in September.

The Lawrence N. Field Center for Entrepreneurship | Newman Vertical Campus 2-140

Originally the college’s “Small Business Lab,” the Lawrence N. Field Center for Entrepreneurship offers events and services to assist in developing the skills of students with entrepreneurial mindsets.

Students may register and attend interactive “Entrepreneurial Lunch & Learn” webinars that feature real-world industry professionals. They may also join and network with Baruch’s chapter of the Collegiate Entrepreneurial Organization, which holds its meetings in the suite.

The Field Center is also home to the CUNY Startups program, a local branch of the New York State Small Business Development Center and the technology-focused MakerHub program.

The Field Center will hold an open house on Sept. 13 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

“[The open house is] a chance for the Baruch community to learn about all of the free services and programs offered by the Field Center, which can help them tap into their entrepreneurial mindset,” Field Center Executive Director Marlene Leekang told The Ticker in an email.

The Field Center is also accepting applications until Sept. 15 for its PitchPREP program, which prepares students for pitch competitions, specifically targeting one for Blackstone LaunchPad.

Starr Career Development Center | Newman Vertical Campus 2-150

The Starr Career Development Center offers students workshops and fairs to help them discover which career path they wish to follow and find opportunities for work.

The center provides walk-in career counseling, resume reviews and mock interviews, as well as an assortment of professional clothing for students to borrow.

Students may also go online to find events on the center’s Starr Search service or attend webinars. The next one is a Sept. 8 informational session on Cognizant, a technology service company.

Additionally, the center will hold a virtual accounting career fair on Sept. 9. Students may prepare for the event at a career fair informational workshop on Sept. 8.

Subotnick Financial Services Center | Newman Library Building, First Floor

The Subotnick Financial Services Center offers students workshops and hands-on access to trading software to complement what they have learned in their business courses.

At the heart of the center is the Bert W. and Sandra Wasserman Trading Floor, where students have access to its 55 workstations. The center also provides a meeting space in its Sidney I. Lirtzman Seminar Hall for classes and clubs, including Baruch’s Investment Management Group.

The Subotnick Center will hold an open house on Sept. 8 from 12:30 p.m. to 2 p.m.

“Students are welcome to drop by the ‘trading floor’ to learn about the SFSC’s institutional software, including Bloomberg terminals, pick up a workshop schedule and hear about certification programs and trading competitions,” Associate Director Gideon Pell told The Ticker in an email.

Weissman Center for International Business | E 25th Street Annex Building, Eighth Floor

The Weissman Center for International Business offers academic and business opportunities to students looking to take their careers international.

Students may participate in the Global Student Certificate program, which is designed to broaden their perspectives of other countries. Applications for this semester end on Sept. 7. The Study Abroad Office is also part of the center, assisting students interested in interning abroad.

The Weissman Center hosts “Lunchtime Forum” webinars in partnership with the Mitsui USA Foundation. The next session on Sept. 19 will focus on developing successful brands in a post-pandemic society and feature Raleigh Denim CEO David Conn.

The Weissman Center accepts applications until Sept. 30 for its highly competitive Entrepreneurial Heller Fellowship Program. Associate Director Justine Kharnak, who runs the program, explained the opportunity in an email to The Ticker.

“This is a wonderful opportunity for a student completing an unpaid internship at a startup organization to learn about entrepreneurship and apply for a fellowship stipend while interning during this fall 2022 semester,” Kharnak said.