VP of Legislative Affairs resigns, new VP replacement is elected

mediamodifier | pixabay

Baruch College’s Undergraduate Student Government faced its sixth resignation this year with the latest being Vice President of Legislative Affairs Navjot Pal Kaur who resigned the week before spring break.

A senior and political science major, Kaur was elected earlier this semester. When she assumed her position, she expressed to The Ticker that she wanted to make Baruch students become more civically minded and engaged. During her time as VP of Legislative Affairs, she focused on getting students to go out and vote, registering them during events held in the Multipurpose Room, and various other locations within campus and throughout the city.

Kaur also headed the delegation of the New York State Association of Black and Puerto Rican Legislators Conference in Albany back in February to lobby for funding for the Lawrence and Eris Field Building at 17 Lexington Avenue. 

When The Ticker reached out to Kaur asking why she decided to step down from her position with less than a month remaining, Kaur decline to respond. 

The only comment she made was regarding the newly elected VP, Kim Kazdal, who ran alongside POP! or Power of the People! during the 2019-2020 USG elections.

“I am grateful for Kim’s election to VP of Legislative Affairs and I’m sure she’s going to do a great job. I’m really proud of her,” Kaur said. “As a member of my legislative committee when I was VP, she showed so much interest and initiative and I think she’s a great leader and will have much to contribute to the Baruch community.”

>
I don’t believe that anyone has a right to comment on what she should have done and what she shouldn’t have. At the end of the day, it was her decision to resign and it isn’t my place to comment on her choice.
— Kim Kazdal

Kazdal is a freshman majoring in public affairs and was previously involved with USG as part of Kaur’s legislative committee. 

In regard to Kaur’s resignation, Kazal stated, “I don’t believe that anyone has a right to comment on what she should have done and what she shouldn’t have. At the end of the day, it was her decision to resign and it isn’t my place to comment on her choice.”

With the remainder of the semester, USG had in house elections where the senate members voted on an interim VP of Legislative Affairs, Tamanna Saidi, from whom The Ticker also reached out to but received no response.

Kazal hopes that Saidi “is able to gather the public’s opinion, specifically of Baruch students on certain issues.” She explained “this will help the next USG identify which issues are most important to the students, so that we can tackle these issues.” Kazdal’s advice to Saidi was “just to genuinely try to connect with students and to not be scared of following a less conventional path.”

As for Kazdal, she expressed that she is excited “to be working hands-on with the people at Baruch next year.”

One of the initiatives she has in mind is to continue working closely with the #BeFare Committee, “Ensuring that Brandon’s legacy is continued.”

Brandon Santiago, chair of the #BeFare Committee of USG has been meeting with officials from major transit groups to secure a reduced transit fare for CUNY students.

She also mentioned some of her goals for next semester.

“Having continuous discussion about political issues and creating a safe place to do so,” Kazal said. “Making politics more about connecting with people and the importance of giving back to your community.”